Service Studio responsiveness? Expecting horizontal scroll with big table records

Service Studio responsiveness? Expecting horizontal scroll with big table records

Dear forum,

I have a big table records with multiple columns. But in service studio i am not always able to reach all of the columns. If i publish the application and then open it in a browser it will scale like expected and give me a horizontal scroll if necessary. But why don't i get a horizontal scroll in service studio while i'm building it? For example see screenshots.

In the widget table you can see that there are a few cells which i can't reach.The only option i have at the moment is using the widget tree to select the ones out of reach but then i can't even see exactly what i'm doing. I'm using 2 monitors with different resolutions and it's frustrating to sometimes be able to change the whole table records and sometimes not.

I was wondering if there is a different way to reach those columns without using the widget tree? Could i possibly resize the table records so it would fit? I can change the width, currently it's on fill parent, but even if i change the width to 1 col it'll never change size in service studio.

Hi Yorin,

Do you have an actual question, or were you just venting?

Note that a scroll bar only makes sense when you know the screen width, and given that SS uses an external rendering engine, I'm not sure whether it knows there's something cut off.

Hello Yorin. I understand your frustration and you do have a point that the IDE could be better in that aspect.

However, I rarely see a table records with more than 5 columns, 7 at most. There are better ways to layout information on the page, without requiring those many columns. Your development experience would be better, and your users' experience would also be better.

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi Yorin,

Do you have an actual question, or were you just venting?

Note that a scroll bar only makes sense when you know the screen width, and given that SS uses an external rendering engine, I'm not sure whether it knows there's something cut off.

I apologise if my post came of to aggresive. I tried to change something quickly in front of the client which was for some reason a bit more complicated than what i thought it would be considering i couldn't reach it.

My question would be Is there a different way to reach those columns without using the widget tree? Could i possibly resize the table records so it would fit? I can change the width, currently it's on fill parent, but even if i change the width to 1 col it'll never change size.

leonardo.fernandes wrote:

Hello Yorin. I understand your frustration and you do have a point that the IDE could be better in that aspect.

However, I rarely see a table records with more than 5 columns, 7 at most. There are better ways to layout information on the page, without requiring those many columns. Your development experience would be better, and your users' experience would also be better.

Thank you for your response. I am currently thinking of changing the layout into multiple (detail) webscreens or something of that sort. For now i'm more focused on making it actually work instead of UX. 

Hey Yorin,

Do you have the same (horizontal scrolling) in runtime?

Service Studio internally uses a browser (Chrome) to preview what you actually will see in runtime. Sometimes it has some glitches and some preview problems but if it will look like that in runtime is better to quickly give that feedback to the developer.

Cheers,

Yorin Roelofs wrote:

My question would be Is there a different way to reach those columns without using the widget tree? Could i possibly resize the table records so it would fit? I can change the width, currently it's on fill parent, but even if i change the width to 1 col it'll never change size.

Not that I'm aware of, other than resizing the view pane (i.e. make the tree pane smaller), or using a wider screen.