OutSystems Development Converence (ODC) 

OutSystems Development Converence (ODC) 

You’ve asked for it, waited patiently for years, begged us to make it happen, and we finally caved. For the first time ever, OutSystems is hosting a business-only conference—no developers allowed. To keep it in-line with our branding we’re calling it DontStep (InHereDevelopersBecauseItsManagementOnlyHahaSuckers) 2018.

Sorry, management made us put that joke in… But if you haven’t heard, we’re finally hosting a conference that’s exclusively by and for you, the developer, the architect and the tech lead! We’re calling it ODC (OutSystems Developer Conference). At ODC the talks, advanced training, and food are all for you—we’d rather die than let management take a single cookie from the ODC snack table! For details, visit the ODC page.

Since this is our first time running a conference exclusively for you, we want to get it 100% right. We need your help to make ODC as fantastic as possible. Here are some of the areas in which we are seeking your advice:

• Topics: what do you want to learn about? (not limited to the OutSystems platform and tools)
  • Swag: tired of t-shirts? what swag would make ODC a memorable event?
  • Speakers: who would you like to bump into at the conference?
  • Food: we know that our conference coffee is… incomparable, but which foods or snacks would you love to munch on?
  • More!?

We will try our hardest to bring your suggestions to life, but we can’t accommodate all requests. And if you don’t plan to attend the conference, feel free to pitch your ideas anyway—we want to hear from everyone.

We also want to thank you for your patience; this event is long overdue. We respect and appreciate every one of our developers because without you, there is no OutSystems. And at ODC, it’s all about you. Let’s make ODC as great as we possibly can, together.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's ideas :)

Mario

Portuguese custard tarts are a must-have! 

Hi there,

This is really a GREAT initiative. Taking an example of what I saw in my Dynamics CRM conference days, I would say interesting topics/things to do would be things like :

1. Hands on examples (having someone onstage doing this) of integrating with other high profile systems, such as, Dynamics CRM, Salesforce, etc. Show for example how to quickly build an interface to one of these systems to show, for example, the sales pipeline, or edit/track prospects.

2. Best practices for how to debug / analyze performance issues on the front end / backend.

3. How to build an app (in under 20 mins) with the coolest current and probably not so straightforward "frameworks", online services, front end sweets, etc.

4. Ask the R&D: Have people from the several R&D areas up there to answer those questions everybody wants to know about but is too afraid to ask.

5. Tips and Tricks that only several years of working with OS allow you to know about.

6. How to's on working with O11.

7. Have a competition/hackathon to "build your own app" to be shown at the ODC.

8. Have a "best socializer" contest where the winner would be the one who shares (twitter) the most during the ODC, or has the most retweets of topics related to the ODC.

9. Building for mobile : Have a session sampling how to build for mobile, and have a more advanced session where you show how to extend mobile with native code for some reason (interface with a gadget).

10. Food : Why not have a hands-on culinary session where the devs can actually cook something with / led by some Portuguese well known cook :D

11. Pizza is a must ..

And these are my 11 cents :D

I approve all the suggestions of the Paulo Sebastião. Great Ideas !!

Definitely an hackathon!

Why not a space to demo apps developed over the last year?

• Different tracks depending on skill level of developers
  • Hand-on workshops .. maybe group/non-computer exercises like bootcamps
  • After-hours hackathon (for small business or non-profit companies)
  • More opportunities to socialize in person
  • Event technical challenge ... have different challenges you can complete on your own and compare with other developers

A beer tasting event, with an app to rate the differten beers.... :D

Off course there must be some fun, but the main reason for a developers conference is to learn and see new things. 

So I want 

great dev tracks on building, CSS, databases, new tech, etc.

Integration with all kinds of tech savvy services

Sparing with the OS teams (Service Studio, platform server)

I (personally) dont want to waste time in hackathons (which only show what I can do) or competitions (can be done online)

After two days I want to be energized with new ideas

Patrick Baanvinger wrote:

I (personally) dont want to waste time in hackathons (which only show what I can do) or competitions (can be done online)

Isn't an hackathon a good place to be energized with new ideas, by seeing other people using the same tools as you and build completely different things?

I don't think an hackathon is something to show only what I can do. I see an hackathon as a great place to exchange ideas, meet new people, meet new perspectives and, most importantly, to try new things! What is the worst that can happen? :)

Armando Gomes wrote:

Patrick Baanvinger wrote:

Isn't an hackathon a good place to be energized with new ideas, by seeing other people using the same tools as you and build completely different things?

I don't think an hackathon is something to show only what I can do. I see an hackathon as a great place to exchange ideas, meet new people, meet new perspectives and, most importantly, to try new things! What is the worst that can happen? :)

It could be :) But when you do a hackathon, you will be building yourself. Especially in the context of a developer conference, it has the risk of a show-off.

It could be a side-dish for those who want to do it, but my goal is to learn and see, not to compete and glorify :):)

(Everybody has his own cup-of-thea. I prefer coffee :):))

Hey everyone,

Thank you so much for all the ideas :) We're working hard to create an awesome event for all of you. Keep those ideas coming and who knows - there might be a cool gift for contributors ;)

Hi,

I would like to now more about:
- In depth webservices
- AD connection where AD is used to store all the information a logged in user can do (groups, etc.)

Regard,
Johan

Hi,

Why isn't this topic pinned to the forum so it stays on top?

Idea's
Examples of enterprise architectures
LifeTime authorisation set-up's/best practices (with this topic also the 'Authorisation/Authentication keys which may not be public')
Automatic deployments
Auditing examples/architectures
High volume processes

Kind regards,
Evert

- Why choose Outsystems over open-source