Importing Users, groups, roles from Active Directory

Importing Users, groups, roles from Active Directory

We have thousands of employees so naturally we have a lot of users and groups.

Is there a good way to import these to Outsystems (The Users application)? We can't manually create these groups, there are just too many.

I took a look at the Active Directory module in the forge but it seemed dodgy to use something that isn't supported by outsystems. Also I couldn't find any good documentation on how to use it.

Hi Thea,

Yes you can do it by using the LDAP component from forge. You can create a timer and run the code to fetch data from Active Directory and push it in Outsystems.( for ex,. Method Group_Getmembers)

You need to pass the path carefully as it will return the result by that filter only

Example of Path .

"CN=ABC,OU=fgh,OU=pqs,OU=mycompdomain,DC=abc,DC=mycompdomain,DC=com" 

Regards

-PJ-

Pramod Jain wrote:

Hi Thea,

Yes you can do it by using the LDAP component from forge. You can create a timer and run the code to fetch data from Active Directory and push it in Outsystems.( for ex,. Method Group_Getmembers)

You need to pass the path carefully as it will return the result by that filter only

Example of Path .

"CN=ABC,OU=fgh,OU=pqs,OU=mycompdomain,DC=abc,DC=mycompdomain,DC=com" 

Regards

-PJ-

Thank you Pramad! Do you know where I could find some how-to or documentation on how to use this module?

Hi Thea,

Because there are some Outsystems licensing models that depend of the number of active users, the Users eSpace does not create/import users automatically, only when the user logs in.

Regarding documentation:

On LDAP forge component you have one eSpace demo, but basically you will be querying the LDAP server, so the documentation that you will need is related with LDAP, as example https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996205(v=exchg.65).aspx

Here you can find the Outsystems documentation about the configuration of the users eSpace:

https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/10/Developing_an_Application/Secure_the_Application/End-User_Management/End-User_Authentication/Configuring_End-User_Authentication

Please note that you can also find in Authentication extension (part of the System components), some LDAP actions, so you might not need to use the forge component:

Hope it helps you.

Hi Thea,

There is no useful document available which can tell you how to use this component.

Regards

-PJ-

Daniel Martins wrote:

Hi Thea,

Because there are some Outsystems licensing models that depend of the number of active users, the Users eSpace does not create/import users automatically, only when the user logs in.

Regarding documentation:

On LDAP forge component you have one eSpace demo, but basically you will be querying the LDAP server, so the documentation that you will need is related with LDAP, as example https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996205(v=exchg.65).aspx

Here you can find the Outsystems documentation about the configuration of the users eSpace:

https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/10/Developing_an_Application/Secure_the_Application/End-User_Management/End-User_Authentication/Configuring_End-User_Authentication

Please note that you can also find in Authentication extension (part of the System components), some LDAP actions, so you might not need to use the forge component:

Hope it helps you.

Hi Daniel

I keep getting an "unknown error" when attempting to query our LDAP server (everything is on prem) and I can't troubleshoot without documentation (or having one of the creators in our office). Unfortunately this is a dealbreaker for us.

Pramod Jain wrote:

Hi Thea,

There is no useful document available which can tell you how to use this component.

Regards

-PJ-

It's so strange that there isn't any documentation.. Marking this as the solution :) 

Hi Thea,

Please understand that majority of Forge component was from Community Member, and as such it's at creator discretion whether he/she will made documentation.

I wouldn't said it was deal breaker.

This one thing should not over-shadowing the whole greatness of Outsystems Platform.

Time spent exploring and making logic to synchronize AD Users and Groups to Outsystems Users and Groups is very minuscule compared to what you will save for development of web/mobile apps.

BTW, are you using on-premise Outsystems Platform server?

You said your AD server was on-premise.

Your AD server should be reachable from the internet if you're using Outsystems Cloud Server.

Harlin Setiadarma wrote:

Hi Thea,

Please understand that majority of Forge component was from Community Member, and as such it's at creator discretion whether he/she will made documentation.

I wouldn't said it was deal breaker.

This one thing should not over-shadowing the whole greatness of Outsystems Platform.

Time spent exploring and making logic to synchronize AD Users and Groups to Outsystems Users and Groups is very minuscule compared to what you will save for development of web/mobile apps.

BTW, are you using on-premise Outsystems Platform server?

You said your AD server was on-premise.

Your AD server should be reachable from the internet if you're using Outsystems Cloud Server.

The LDAP module is created by Outsystems, and for us it definitely is a dealbreaker as 99% of our applications are for internal use :)
AD authentication and connecting to our LDAP server is no problem. My problem is that I can't get the LDAP module to work since there's no documentation.

Solution

Hi Thea,

Without knowing your LDAP structure is almost impossible to help.

What are you trying to achieve with the LDAP module, what error is being thrown?

Basically you will need to know your AD structure, as example: 

https://www.websense.com/content/support/library/web/hosted/dsc_admin/example_schema.aspx

I advise you to use the AD explorer tool, to query and understand your AD structure:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/adexplorer

If you are able to browse and query your AD with the AD explorer tool, you will be able to use sucessfully the outsystems forge LDAP module component.

Hope it helps you!

Solution