Outsystems Licencing

Outsystems Licencing

  

Not quite sure in which section of the forum this belongs, so my apologies if the question is in the wrong place.

I really love how easy it is to use Ousystems to develop a mobile application. I would like to create an app for a small restaurant that can take orders online using mobile app. This will probably have all the features that enable the customer to order food online. 

I would also like to create a control center for the app at thesame time. 

Can someone please let me know if I can implement this in free version of the outsystems software or I definitely need to buy the expensive enterprise license. 

Any feedback on this matter is greatly appreciated.

Hi Arash,

As per my understanding you need to buy license.


Regards

-SK-

The free version has a few restrictions.


1) You need to actively use regularly or it becomes deactivated. Some doco suggests that if end users use it then it stays active but from my experience you need to actually log into Outsystems as a developer at least once every couple of weeks or it shuts down.

2) You can't change the domain name. Probably not so much of an issue for mobile


I haven't paid much attention to the actual license agreement so don't know if the personal environment prohibits you from using it for commercial but to be honest point 1 would be a killer for what you want to do.


John Williams wrote:

The free version has a few restrictions.


1) You need to actively use regularly or it becomes deactivated. Some doco suggests that if end users use it then it stays active but from my experience you need to actually log into Outsystems as a developer at least once every couple of weeks or it shuts down.

2) You can't change the domain name. Probably not so much of an issue for mobile


I haven't paid much attention to the actual license agreement so don't know if the personal environment prohibits you from using it for commercial but to be honest point 1 would be a killer for what you want to do.


Thank you John for your reply. 

From what I understood, the free version is not good for any kind of development work. Is the free version only for people or companies to test the outstystem software ? 

Thanks again for your reply.

Shashi kant Shukla wrote:

Hi Arash,

As per my understanding you need to buy license.


Regards

-SK-

Hi Shashi, 

Thanks for your reply. 

Just to clarify something, is the price for Enterprise $5,400 per month? 

Also for small companies what options are available to get a licence but not paying this expensive monthly price? 

Thanks again for your reply.


Hi Arash, the Personal environment is really for training, helping developers get experience and to promote the product within the development community. It ca be used for small projects or proof of concepts and a way to help convince companies of the worth of the system. 

Basically though Outsystems is really aimed at the large organisations so your right it is very expensive for the small companies and probably not suitable for what you are after. I'd love it if they did introduce a different licensing system to cover the smaller organisations but they have to balance that with the risk of devaluing the enterprise licence.

Solution

John Williams wrote:

Hi Arash, the Personal environment is really for training, helping developers get experience and to promote the product within the development community. It ca be used for small projects or proof of concepts and a way to help convince companies of the worth of the system. 

Basically though Outsystems is really aimed at the large organisations so your right it is very expensive for the small companies and probably not suitable for what you are after. I'd love it if they did introduce a different licensing system to cover the smaller organisations but they have to balance that with the risk of devaluing the enterprise licence.

Hi John, 

Thank you for your detail reply. 

It would be great if they do introduce a licensing system for small companies. I have looked around for other software that can do similar job as outsystems but they are either in similar price range as Outsystems or they are difficult to work with. 

Have you worked with Salesforce software? If you have can you please give me some feedback on what you think about their software because I found it very difficult to use. 

I was also wondering if you know any other software that is not expensive and at the same time easy to use? 

Thanks again for your fast responses.

Solution

Sorry can't really recommend any others we use Outsystems for low code and full .net or php for "high" code. Not that it helps you with the price but thing to remember with Outsystems licensing is that it isn't just the development license, it covers hosting of a full enterprise grade 3 stage deployment architecture, full SQL licensing, full backups, availability and 24/7 monitoring and SLA's, support etc. So whilst it is expensive for a small organisation it isn't really overpriced in comparison to what you get.

John Williams wrote:

Sorry can't really recommend any others we use Outsystems for low code and full .net or php for "high" code. Not that it helps you with the price but thing to remember with Outsystems licensing is that it isn't just the development license, it covers hosting of a full enterprise grade 3 stage deployment architecture, full SQL licensing, full backups, availability and 24/7 monitoring and SLA's, support etc. So whilst it is expensive for a small organisation it isn't really overpriced in comparison to what you get.

Hello John,

Do you have any information on how the licensing model is different if we choose to set up Outsystems Onpremise?


Raghavendra Kummari wrote:

John Williams wrote:

Sorry can't really recommend any others we use Outsystems for low code and full .net or php for "high" code. Not that it helps you with the price but thing to remember with Outsystems licensing is that it isn't just the development license, it covers hosting of a full enterprise grade 3 stage deployment architecture, full SQL licensing, full backups, availability and 24/7 monitoring and SLA's, support etc. So whilst it is expensive for a small organisation it isn't really overpriced in comparison to what you get.

Hello John,

Do you have any information on how the licensing model is different if we choose to set up Outsystems Onpremise?



The model itself doesn't change (users and application objects, 1 production environment and non-production environments as-needed), though the pricing might. That's a question for an actual OutSystems sales person.

J.Ja

Raghavendra Kummari wrote:

John Williams wrote:

Sorry can't really recommend any others we use Outsystems for low code and full .net or php for "high" code. Not that it helps you with the price but thing to remember with Outsystems licensing is that it isn't just the development license, it covers hosting of a full enterprise grade 3 stage deployment architecture, full SQL licensing, full backups, availability and 24/7 monitoring and SLA's, support etc. So whilst it is expensive for a small organisation it isn't really overpriced in comparison to what you get.

Hello John,

Do you have any information on how the licensing model is different if we choose to set up Outsystems Onpremise?


We are currently going through the process of evaluating moving from Cloud to self hosted and the both the licensing model and the pricing are exactly the same. Effectively when your using the Cloud model you are getting the hosting for free and don't get a discount when you host yourself. 

Only real difference I can see with on premise is that you get more flexibility (Outsystems won't let you touch the servers or database with Cloud) and you could up the specs of individual machines without paying more but you still have to pay if you want to add more servers. The downside is you have to provide all the hardware (or an external cloud) and do all the maintenance yourself. So far our conclusion is that it is actually a lot cheaper to use the Outsystems Cloud. For us cost isn't the factor though, its more the lack of access to the database that is driving us towards the self hosting path.


Oh and you also have to factor the SQL license in if you host yourself, MSSQL isn't cheap.

Hello Aran,

To answer your question I need to break your requirement into two parts.

  1.  a) "I would like to create an app for a small restaurant that can take orders online using mobile app." - Free version of OutSystems will very well do the job considering your requirement. OutSystems is not restricting you to use this commercially. As others mentioned you need to login into your enviornment to keep alive once in a couple of weeks. ( You might set an repeating event in your calendar :) ) . 
  2. b)   "This will probably have all the features that enable the customer to order food online" - I strongly recommend you to procure a commercial option as 
    1. as customers are involved and they expect good experience. 
    2. As Free version is a shared one and it will not scale for high volumes.
    3. You many not want your customers see the development version as Free version has only one environment. In other versions you have multiple environment so you can manage your deployment efforlessly.
    4. Support is another reason you should consider a paid option.

I would recommend you execute your first requirement and if you see business potential think about the second requirement. From the ROI point of view it is not profitable for a single application unless your single application generate enough revenue to cover the cost.  You may talk to your regional partner in your country to understand licensing better.

Thinking a bit more about it one option could be if you can find someone who already has a full licence would be to have them host it for you. That way you could cover just the additional license plus something for their trouble.

John Williams wrote:

Raghavendra Kummari wrote:

John Williams wrote:

Sorry can't really recommend any others we use Outsystems for low code and full .net or php for "high" code. Not that it helps you with the price but thing to remember with Outsystems licensing is that it isn't just the development license, it covers hosting of a full enterprise grade 3 stage deployment architecture, full SQL licensing, full backups, availability and 24/7 monitoring and SLA's, support etc. So whilst it is expensive for a small organisation it isn't really overpriced in comparison to what you get.

Hello John,

Do you have any information on how the licensing model is different if we choose to set up Outsystems Onpremise?


We are currently going through the process of evaluating moving from Cloud to self hosted and the both the licensing model and the pricing are exactly the same. Effectively when your using the Cloud model you are getting the hosting for free and don't get a discount when you host yourself. 

Only real difference I can see with on premise is that you get more flexibility (Outsystems won't let you touch the servers or database with Cloud) and you could up the specs of individual machines without paying more but you still have to pay if you want to add more servers. The downside is you have to provide all the hardware (or an external cloud) and do all the maintenance yourself. So far our conclusion is that it is actually a lot cheaper to use the Outsystems Cloud. For us cost isn't the factor though, its more the lack of access to the database that is driving us towards the self hosting path.


Oh and you also have to factor the SQL license in if you host yourself, MSSQL isn't cheap.

Thank you for the response, very useful in making a decision.


John Williams wrote:

Thinking a bit more about it one option could be if you can find someone who already has a full licence would be to have them host it for you. That way you could cover just the additional license plus something for their trouble.

Hi John,

That would be a violation of the OutSystems license terms.https://www.outsystems.com/LEGAL/MASTER-SUBSCRIPTION-AGREEMENT/, 3.3.

Best,

Joao


João Santos wrote:

John Williams wrote:

Thinking a bit more about it one option could be if you can find someone who already has a full licence would be to have them host it for you. That way you could cover just the additional license plus something for their trouble.

Hi John,

That would be a violation of the OutSystems license terms.https://www.outsystems.com/LEGAL/MASTER-SUBSCRIPTION-AGREEMENT/, 3.3.

Best,

Joao


Way I read that clause is about selling or transferring your OutSystems license which is a bit different to hosting a service on behalf of someone else especially if the someone else was acting more as a developer and got a trailing commission from a sale. That being said yes it would be advisable to talk to an Outsystems rep about the exact circumstance first.