Android version control on the Play Store

Hello colleagues,

I'd like to know if anyone knows how to restrict in the play store the download of an application, for lower versions, to a given version.

That is, a given mobile application, will no longer support some versions of Android. So I'd like to know how I can do it, so when these devices search for the app, they will not be able to see or download the app, since the version of your android is no longer supported.

Best regards,

Nuno Verdasca

Hey, this has nothing to do with outsystems i think but there you go https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/7353455?hl=en

"

To prevent app crashes, you can exclude your app from being available to individual devices on Google Play. Making this change manually excludes your whole app—you can't exclude individual APKs.

By manually excluding devices with known compatibility issues, you can help provide a better experience for your users.

Exclude a device

1. Sign in to your Play Console.
  2. Select an app.
  3. On the left menu, select Release management > Device catalog.
  4. Select a device.
  5. At the bottom of your screen, select Exclude.

Use the same excluded devices as another app

2. Select an app.
  4. Select the Excluded devices tab.
  5. Next to "Import manually excluded devices," select an app.
  6. Select Import.

Set up exclusions for a device with multiple models

2. Select an app.
  4. Select a device.
  5. To expand each model, select the down arrow Drop-down arrow.
    • To exclude all models, go to the top right corner of the screen and select Exclude all.
    • To exclude one model, go the bottom right corner of the expanded section and select Exclude."

Thank you Frederick.

However what you send me and I had already found, controls the devices, and I want as I described is inhibiting versions of Android, which we will stop supporting.

Regards,

Nuno Verdasca

My bad there!

So, i can't really test it and give you a "DO THIS" solution, but joining together this:

"Blocking an app for an API level will require a deploy since it's done in the manifest file (in gradle config).

<manifest xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android" ... >
   <uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="4" android:targetSdkVersion="15" />
</manifest>
From Supporting Different Platform versions."

And This

https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/10/Delivering_Mobile_Apps/Customize_Your_Mobile_App/Set_the_Preferences_for_Your_Mobile_App

And this

https://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/latest/config_ref/#preference

I would  say you have to put, to limit to minimum  version 24:

"{
   "preferences": {
       "android": [{
           "name": "android-minSdkVersion",
           "value": 24
       }]
   }
}
"

In the extensibility configuration, check the success page that i put above for more details on how to do that.

Kudos to Joao Barata for helping me figure this out :)

Hi Nuno

I believe this is done by setting the Minimum Framework Version (I'n not sure if this will completely exclude the app from the search, or if it will just show as not available). To set this when an application is generated you'd need to set the references on the desired application using this procedure. I believe that the preference you'd need to set would be the 'android-minSdkVersion'. You can find a list of many other configurations over here. After that, upload that version to google play, and it should automatically restrict new downloads. (I am not sure what happens with applications that have already been installed on a lower version that the one you set).

In case you're interested, this are the filters that google play applies when deciding if an app is compatible with a certain device or not.

Hope this helps!

- CLSJ