Database Connectivity Options?

Database Connectivity Options?

Which open standards are supported for RDBMS connectivity? 

Hi Kidehen,

What exactly is the relation between your question and OutSystems?

OutSystems can run on Oracle, SQL Server and MySQL databases natively, and can connect to those three and iDB2 as external database. Other external databases may be supported via a Forge Component.

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi Kidehen,

What exactly is the relation between your question and OutSystems?

OutSystems can run on Oracle, SQL Server and MySQL databases natively, and can connect to those three and iDB2 as external database. Other external databases may be supported via a Forge Component.

I am enquiring about the ability to work atop backend RDBMS engines agnostically using existing open standards such as ODBC or JDBC.  Basically, I don't want to build applications for a specific backend bearing in mind the existence of the aforementioned database connectivity standards. 

What is a Forge Component? Does that support ODBC or JDBC i.e., function as an abstraction layer for either?  

Hi Kidehen,

Like I said, the OutSystems Platform runs on Oracle, SQL Server or MySQL (though one of the former two is preferred). If you chose the OutSystems PaaS, you always get SQL Server. The Platform needs one of these database systems for its own system tables, you cannot run it without it.

If you have an existing database (or databases) and you need to access data from it using OutSystems, you need to integrate with it (I'll spare you the technical details). But that's just for accessing external, existing data. Like I said, you need one of the databases I listed above for the Platform to run on.

Your questions lead me to believe you are not a current OutSystems user, and you want more information about the Platform? In that case I'd advise you to contact your closest sales representative - this forum is predominantly meant for existing OutSystems users that have questions about how to do things.

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi Kidehen,

Like I said, the OutSystems Platform runs on Oracle, SQL Server or MySQL (though one of the former two is preferred). If you chose the OutSystems PaaS, you always get SQL Server. The Platform needs one of these database systems for its own system tables, you cannot run it without it.

If you have an existing database (or databases) and you need to access data from it using OutSystems, you need to integrate with it (I'll spare you the technical details). But that's just for accessing external, existing data. Like I said, you need one of the databases I listed above for the Platform to run on.

Your questions lead me to believe you are not a current OutSystems user, and you want more information about the Platform? In that case I'd advise you to contact your closest sales representative - this forum is predominantly meant for existing OutSystems users that have questions about how to do things.

Why are you being so defensive here? 

I simply want to know if this product is RDBMS agnostic or not. Clearly it isn't. 

You've answered my question, but you really could have been less defensive when responding in a public support forum like this. 

Kingsley 

Hi Kingsley,

I'm not sure what you mean by "defensive". I've tried to answer your question as best as I could, and gave you advise that's in my opionion solid. I apologize if anything I said made you feel like I wasn't taking you serious, or otherwise offended you. I hope you will continue to evaluate the Platform, and find it suitable for your needs.