[Web Notifications] How to configure the Web Notifications Plugin

[Web Notifications] How to configure the Web Notifications Plugin

Forge Component
(8)
Published on 2017-05-18 by Henrique Batista
8 votes
Published on 2017-05-18 by Henrique Batista

Hi,

This is a great plugin. I tried your demo and it's exactly what I need.

I am stuck however in the configuration proces of it. I need to insert a public and private key. Are these from the firebase client? I don't understand very well where I should get those.

Thanks in advance

Shahin

Solution

Hello Shahin,

The public and private keys need to be generated for encryption purpose and need to be set as site properties of the component.

You can generate them here

Let me know if it worked

Solution

Great! It worked!

I followed the link in the tutorial but that lead to a dead end. But the link you send me sure did the trick.

I also found out that in my chrome browser, I did not get a subscription (no baloon to ask for me to allow notifications). 

On firefox this was no problem and I even received the notification. The subscribed browsers was also updated with my firefox browser subscription. But for some reason I can't get my chrome to work. My colleague also has the same issue with chrome.

I deactivated adblockers, set the settings to receive notifications always, but still no luck. Any ideas?

Thank again

Shahin

Hey,

Make sure you have https when you go to the subscribing page, that's an usual issue.

Also, don't allow the subscription, on the browser -> privacy -> notifications, just remove you environment so the browser ask you for permissions again.

Did you set all the site properties on the component?

Also, did you deployed the service worker on your module?

I'm not sure what's the issue, so I'm just going for the usual issues

The settings of the site properties are correct, because in firefox it does work in our work environment.

I tried my personal environement on chrome, it also seems to work there. 

I believe it has something to do with the certificate that we have on the dev environment and how chrome handles it. I find it weird why firefox does seem to allow notitications and chrome doesn't.

Thanks for your support though

Shahin