[In-App Chat Mobile] configure Firebase for making chat interactive

[In-App Chat Mobile] configure Firebase for making chat interactive

Forge Component
(5)
Published on 2017-11-27 by Labs
5 votes
Published on 2017-11-27 by Labs

Hi Team,

I am using In-App Chat Mobile component to implement chat functionality in my Mobile App. I am trying to make this chat interactive like Facebook chat where we get the responses displayed immediately. In my current app this feature is not there. Currently, I have to go back and come to chat screen for viewing updated responses.

I read in some posts where it said to configure Firebase to achieve this feature. I tried the firebase configurations steps but it did not work and I was not getting any notifications.

Can you help how can I achieve this?

Hello Venkata.

In order to test if the problem is with the firebase configurations, can you configure and test the sample application that comes with the component?

Cheers,

Samuel

Samuel Jesus wrote:

Hello Venkata.

In order to test if the problem is with the firebase configurations, can you configure and test the sample application that comes with the component?

Cheers,

Samuel

Hi Samuel,

I configured the example that came with component and tested but it is still not interactive. I still have to go back and click on Sample chat to view latest messages. I think because there is no default Firebase configuration setup.

Hi, 

The component (and the sample) does not contain any default firebase configurations.

When I said to configure the sample I was saying to set your own firebase credentials in the app and to try it. Was that what you did?

If so, and the sample is still with the same issue, is your server behind a firewall? If the server is not able to communicate with the firebase server, the real time functionality will not work.

Cheers,

Samuel

Samuel Jesus wrote:

Hi, 

The component (and the sample) does not contain any default firebase configurations.

When I said to configure the sample I was saying to set your own firebase credentials in the app and to try it. Was that what you did?

If so, and the sample is still with the same issue, is your server behind a firewall? If the server is not able to communicate with the firebase server, the real time functionality will not work.

Cheers,

Samuel

Hi Samuel,

Thank you for the reply. Yes i tried to create a new project in Firebase console and used those settings in the example that came with the component.

As you mentioned, yes my server is behind a firewall, i will check with our local team here to see if the firewall is blocking the communication to firebase server and get back to you.

thanks,

Venkata Rajam

Rajam and myself are working on this, but we could not make the real time chat work. The Sample application is not working. I have created the Firebase project and set the ProjectId and Secret, still no luck.

are we missing anything? like resource files.

I also tried this outside firewall.

Thanks,

Raj

Raj Manoharan wrote:

Rajam and myself are working on this, but we could not make the real time chat work. The Sample application is not working. I have created the Firebase project and set the ProjectId and Secret, still no luck.

are we missing anything? like resource files.

I also tried this outside firewall.

Thanks,

Raj

based on https://status.firebase.google.com/

there appears to be issue with Firebase Realtime Database from 13th Aug, Impacting UAE & India

Okay, we were able to figure it out, the Firebase realtime databases is locked for public access by default, so we had to open it up buy changing the rules.