How is the tab index/order defined? We experience duplicate tabindex numbers

How is the tab index/order defined? We experience duplicate tabindex numbers

We experience weird behavior regarding tab-order.

Situation: One screen with a modal block at the bottom and a webblock in the Screen. That webblock consists of a Table Records with an input field on every line.

When that page is loaded and the modal is triggered I can see in Google Chrome Inspector that the input field of the Modal has "Tabindex=17" but on the screen (in the Table Records) there is also a Tabindex=17. So the browser switch to that input field and is not visible for the user anymore. (Because it's behind the modal.

Can someone explain how the tab indices are generated? For the time being I put on some fields a manual tabindex with a high value so it will not be used twice...

Hello Peter,

As far as I know, this happens when you use Ajax Refresh on portions of a screen (the tabindex may get messed).

There are at least two workarounds:

1. Define manually the tabindex (like you're doing).

2. Use some JavaScript to reset the tabindex after the AjaxRefresh. 

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Hi Eduardo,

I am looking into the Javascript part. For now i've put a manual tabindex to make it work more stable.

Hi Peter,

Have you made any progress on this? I'm experience the same issue. Is there a quick way to make sure that the tabindex is recalculated after the ajax refreshes?

Thanks

mariap wrote:

Hi Peter,

Have you made any progress on this? I'm experience the same issue. Is there a quick way to make sure that the tabindex is recalculated after the ajax refreshes?

Thanks

Unfortunately we don't have a permanent solution. We raised the taborder of the "fixed" items on the page very high so that the "generated" ones will not interfere with those. It's not perfect but for us a suitable workaround.