BPT - Wait Activity's OnClose callback action Timeout

BPT - Wait Activity's OnClose callback action Timeout

Hi there,

I am wondering:

As told: "The predefined timeout for BPT Automatic Activities is 5 minutes".

My question is how long does timeout for OnClose callback, say it in Wait activity.

regards

Hi RI,

You question is not really clear to me, but I will try to answer it.

Timeout for Automatic Activities is 5 minutes, which means that an automatic activity runs in one transaction (web request) with a timeout of 5 minutes.

The OnClose is similar to an Automatic Activity and this will also timeout in 5 minutes.

I'd suggest to not try to get close to the timeout, because it would impact user experience and performance.

Kind regards,

Remco Dekkinga

Thank you Sir, 

I mean like this "on Close" when inside it there is also a call, say to SAP, is the "On Close" has time out 5 minutes also?.. If the call to SAP is more than 5 minutes then this should be fail?:

Hi RI,

When the automatic activity SubmitInvoiceToSAP is finished, the Timer will run with a timeout of 1 day.

This Bapi_Incominginvoice_GetDatail should then finish in less than 5 minutes, but the same goes for the Bapi_Incominginvoice_Create in the subprocess of the first automatic activity.

Kind regards,

Remco Dekkinga

How if the bapiincominginvoice_getdetail does not finish within 5 minutes?

Hi RI,

Not sure about the timeout of the OnClose callback, but looking at your code sample, I think you should follow a pattern closer to what is described in Designing Waiting Activities article, checking the status of the Order in specific automatic activities instead of using the OnClose.

Cheers,

Tiago.

Hi Sir,

Thank you. That is exactly what i am thinking whether to use automatic activity or to use onclose callback.

The picture above that uses callback, i get in Outsystem document as well:

https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/10/Developing_an_Application/Use_Processes/Patterns_for_Designing_Processes/Designing_Polling_of_External_Systems

So, if it"s all the same, instead of using both auto and wait activity, we can use one wait and put the action in callback. But, i am still in doubt whether the second one - the callback - has timeout more than 5 minutes or else.

Thank you

I read the documentation about BPT. Unfortunately, the document does not say that timeout. 

Regards

Solution

RI wrote:

I read the documentation about BPT. Unfortunately, the document does not say that timeout. 

Regards

Yes, there's no reference to it. I would assume either the 5 min as the automatic activities or the "normal" timeout of web requests. Some simple testing should give a proper answer to this.

Solution

RI wrote:

Hi Sir,

Thank you. That is exactly what i am thinking whether to use automatic activity or to use onclose callback.

The picture above that uses callback, i get in Outsystem document as well:

https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/10/Developing_an_Application/Use_Processes/Patterns_for_Designing_Processes/Designing_Polling_of_External_Systems

So, if it"s all the same, instead of using both auto and wait activity, we can use one wait and put the action in callback. But, i am still in doubt whether the second one - the callback - has timeout more than 5 minutes or else.

Thank you

Yes, basically there the same and the option for one or another depends on what you want to do after the Wait timeout when the business action is not completed as expected.