Excel download not working in IPAD

Excel download not working in IPAD

Hi team,

I am consuming a rest service that sends me the binary response of an excel file(create on server). But, when I am passing the binary response to the Download widget of Service Studio with proper mime type as 

Excel Mime Type

"application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet"

It gets download well in desktop but not in Ipad. It shows white blank screen on Ipad. Also, to test whether Ipad is working fine with excel i did a test by passing some dummy data to native RecordListToexcel and download. It was working fine but not with API binary response.

Hi Arj,

This is a web app you are opening on the iPad? Do you have an app on the iPad that can open a xlsx?

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi Arj,

This is a web app you are opening on the iPad? Do you have an app on the iPad that can open a xlsx?

This is a website I am opening in iPAD Safari. I already have app that can open the xlsx. But the excel file generated from Rest API is not getting opened in IPAD(in all browsers) but gets open in desktop.

Well, downloading files on iOS is always a problem. See for example this article for more information.

What you could do:

1. Create a web screen.
  2. Add a preparation in the web screen.
  3. Generate the Excel File.
  4. Replace the End Widget with Download Widget.
  5. In your Mobile App.
  6. create a link element that will point to the created Web Screen.
    E.g. (mydomain/downloader/download.aspx?)

Make sure the web screen layout is empty, so if you tried to navigate it empty.

Solution

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Well, downloading files on iOS is always a problem. See for example this article for more information.

I investigated the issue and found that the Rest API is using OpenXML library to generate excel binary. There are issues associated with OpenXML on generating excel file for Ipad/Mac versions(source).

Even I tried to replicate the same issue in Visual Studio and found that excel generated with OpenXML using .Net Dataset objects are causing issues in IPAD. I used EPPlus library and it worked just fine.

I think it's clear that it is not related with Outsystems rather than excel library and ipad.

Solution

Hi Arj,

Thanks for the follow-up! I'll mark your latest reply as Solution.