Docker containers on Personal Environment

Is it possible to create docker containers from your personal environment?


I need to make a proof of concept, but i'm stuck at "Create and configure a containers Deployment zone"

  1. Go to the Service Center management console of your OutSystems environment;
  2. Go to the Administration section and select the Deployment Zones tab;
  3. Click the "New Deployment Zone" link;

https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/11/Managing_the_Applications_Lifecycle/Deploying_to_Containers/Running_Your_Application_in_a_Container\


Solution

Hi DontPoke


I believe the Deployment Zones functionality is only available on on-premise installations (as stated in this article). As such, you will not be able to use them in a personal environment, as that is a cloud installation.


Hope this helps!

  CLSJ

Solution

Hi DontPoke,

Carlos is right. Currently, Deployment Zones functionality isn't available in our Cloud offer.

But I would like to understand your use case. Can you elaborate the reasons that make you wish to use containers in OutSystems cloud, specially on your personal environment like you mentioned?

Cheers! 

This is for a homework assignment concerning devOps (docker, docker-compose, gitlab)

Thanks for you fast reply! So, OK, it was just for your personal research. Got it.

Can I ask what were you expecting to achieve? Imagine that you have deployment Zones and containers available in the Cloud. What will you do with it?

I see this post is more than one year old.

Is it still only possible to use OutSystems and deployment to a docker containers when you have the on premise installations and not the cloud version of OutSystems?

Tijn Hoekstra wrote:

I see this post is more than one year old.

Is it still only possible to use OutSystems and deployment to a docker containers when you have the on premise installations and not the cloud version of OutSystems?

Hi Tijn,


i would recommend reading the documentation about Docker Containers:


https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/11/Managing_the_Applications_Lifecycle/Deploying_to_Containers/Running_Your_Application_in_a_Container/Deploying_an_Application_to_a_Docker_Container

I believe it is now also possible on the cloud version but requires additional licensing.

Bas de Jong wrote:

Tijn Hoekstra wrote:

I see this post is more than one year old.

Is it still only possible to use OutSystems and deployment to a docker containers when you have the on premise installations and not the cloud version of OutSystems?

Hi Tijn,


i would recommend reading the documentation about Docker Containers:


https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/11/Managing_the_Applications_Lifecycle/Deploying_to_Containers/Running_Your_Application_in_a_Container/Deploying_an_Application_to_a_Docker_Container

I believe it is now also possible on the cloud version but requires additional licensing.

Hi,

Actually deployments to docker containers are only available for on premise installations.

Although, the questions made by Tiago are still relevant: "Can I ask what were you expecting to achieve? Imagine that you have deployment Zones and containers available in the Cloud. What will you do with it?".

Regards,


Tiago Leão wrote:

Thanks for you fast reply! So, OK, it was just for your personal research. Got it.

Can I ask what were you expecting to achieve? Imagine that you have deployment Zones and containers available in the Cloud. What will you do with it?

Setting up a devops pipeline with gitlab/docker w primarely automated E2E testing as a goal.


We have locations with slow unreliable Internet connections. We would like to run OutSystems applications without a local OS server, other than a OS runtime in a container. Also devops with a container would be much easier to these locations. Mobile apps with local storage are not an option as we have desktop PC's in these locations.