Different between Blank module and Service module in Mobile app OS 11?

Different between Blank module and Service module in Mobile app OS 11?

Hi, i'm confuse about the difference between Blank module and Service module in OS 11. All this time, i always thought if i want to make my Data or Logic reusable by other app, i should make it in blank module.

So what the difference between these 2 module?

Thanks

Hi,

Before 11 this was true, but with 11 this has changed. 

One thing you should have noticed, is that there isn't a way to create UI elements. The interface tab is not there anymore when opening a service module.

Another difference is that you can have service actions, which behave like REST services. Changing the logic inside won't break the references of other modules that use these service actions. This doesn't apply to public server actions inside a service module, allthough you can of course still use them.

Hi,

In OS 11 Service module is basically design to expose API sothat other module can consume and perform CRUD.

Thanks!

Hi Ervin,

• Blank module allows screens.
  • Service module does not allow screens.

Regards,

Solution

Hi Ervin,

As stated in the previous responses Service modules don't allow the use of UI elements (and also Emails, client-side logic, session variables, "and more"). This makes sure that the "definition" of a core service is respected and that no "UI-stuff" is included in these Service modules as time goes by.
You don't necessarily need to use Service Actions inside Service modules. You may use Server Actions if it fits your specific use case (e.g. does the consumer and producer "live" inside the same Domain?).
You can read a bit more about the purpose of a Service module in this documentation topic. If you want to convert your Web or Mobile modules to Service Modules check out this other documentation topic. Both topics include lists of what elements are not allowed in Service Modules

Solution