Best Approach to Host and Display Videos Using Outsystems? (video-intensive site)

Best Approach to Host and Display Videos Using Outsystems? (video-intensive site)

  

Hello Outsystems folks!
Suppose you were creating a website that displays many videos, what would be the best approach to do this? 

Do you use the OS File Upload widget where the user could upload their video files and display it on the Outsystems-made website or do you upload the video on an a dedicated video hosting site like Youtube (set videos to private) , Vimeo, SproutVideo, etc and just call the URL link?

I'm just wondering what would happen if you keep uploading videos directly to Outsystems. Will it make the website slower and open to more problems than hosting it to a dedicated 3rd party?

I also intend to use HTML5 to control the displayed video for Play, Stop, Forward, Slow-Motion, and Replay.

Reading this
https://www.wp101.com/10-reasons-why-you-should-never-host-your-own-videos/

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/reasons-against-hosting-videos/

convinces me even more to resort to a 3rd party host.


Hello.

The OutSystems site is made in OutSystems and the videos (tutorials, webinars) are hosted on Youtube. I think it says enough about the best approach :)


Solution

Hi Helios,

Even without reading those resources there are 2 things that would make me choose a 3rd party host: security and space. Videos take a lot of space and is better that you don't need to take care of that volume of data. Let users upload files to your applications is always a security risk and this 3rd party already take some precautions to this because is their main business. Also you would need to create mechanism of streaming and the traffic from your server would be a big problem.

Regards,

Marcelo  

Solution

Nuno Reis wrote:

Hello.

The OutSystems site is made in OutSystems and the videos (tutorials, webinars) are hosted on Youtube. I think it says enough about the best approach :)


I noticed that! Thanks for confirming :)


Marcelo Ferreira wrote:

Hi Helios,

Even without reading those resources there are 2 things that would make me choose a 3rd party host: security and space. Videos take a lot of space and is better that you don't need to take care of that volume of data. Let users upload files to your applications is always a security risk and this 3rd party already take some precautions to this because is their main business. Also you would need to create mechanism of streaming and the traffic from your server would be a big problem.

Regards,

Marcelo  

BTW, as 3rd party is the way to go, what would be a good dedicated private video-hosting solution for businesses?

- Vimeo?
- SproutVideo?

- Wistia?
- Dropbox?
- Amazon?
- pCloud?
- Mega?
Maybe someone with experience has already tried one? thanks!

It will depend on the audience of that video.

If you plan to share it with the world, a good platform with SEO that gives visibility beyond the site is perfect.

  • Every technology targets Youtube first than the alternatives so that must be your first option.
  • Then Vimeo if your audience is from the creative industry. They really like it (even if sometimes get frustrated) and are used to it. No one else cares about it and I had some issues with some not-very-tech-savy users misusing it on uploading. Not certain about the automatic upload features.
  • Sproutvideo is for a particular generation but is ok. I wouldn't go much more alternative because there is a real chance for companies to disappear and you'd need to reupload and reconnect.

If you want to keep it private (internal use) one of those cloud storage solutions seems ok. Ideally somewhere you can give an extra layer of security with AD authentication. If the load is not huge, why not a Sharepoint or OwnCloud and you keep it indoors?

Nuno Reis wrote:

It will depend on the audience of that video.

If you plan to share it with the world, a good platform with SEO that gives visibility beyond the site is perfect.

  • Every technology targets Youtube first than the alternatives so that must be your first option.
  • Then Vimeo if your audience is from the creative industry. They really like it (even if sometimes get frustrated) and are used to it. No one else cares about it and I had some issues with some not-very-tech-savy users misusing it on uploading. Not certain about the automatic upload features.
  • Sproutvideo is for a particular generation but is ok. I wouldn't go much more alternative because there is a real chance for companies to disappear and you'd need to reupload and reconnect.

If you want to keep it private (internal use) one of those cloud storage solutions seems ok. Ideally somewhere you can give an extra layer of security with AD authentication. If the load is not huge, why not a Sharepoint or OwnCloud and you keep it indoors?

Thanks for taking the time to answer Nuno. Appreciate the suggestions.