Gmail Email Clipping due to excessive file size

Gmail Email Clipping due to excessive file size

Hi,

I am having some real problems sending emails without the email being clipped by the Gmail 102Kb limit.

The emails consist of just two or three words. However, if you open the clipped email as original in gmail you find there is an enormous chunk of what looks like encrypted data which takes the email way beyond the 102Kb limit. My file when I downloaded it was about 133Kb.

I am using TLS on port 587 on server smtp.gmail.com and this all works fine apart from the clipping. I have also tried port 465 for SSL but this does not work. I am also using an application specific password, which is necessary for Gmail.

Any thoughts to why the file sizes are so large and what can be done to prevent this, because clipped emails are not going to be acceptable?

Please see attached message - I have obscured my email address

Many Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris,

I'm not famliar with the "102Kb" limit of GMail - what happens if an e-mail is larger?

What chunk of encrypted data did you find? Can you share it so we can have an idea where it originates?

Hi Kilian,

Thanks for you quick response.

I have no idea where the additional data comes from but it is nothing that I have added. I am not sure whether this is because it is being sent via TLS on the web server.

The rather large file is already attached above...

If the file is larger than 102k and mine is 133K then this is what you get. 

Ordinarily this would of course not happen and I have never seen this before.

If you then click on 'view entire message' you can see just the text that was sent.

You cannot see the very large block of what looks like encrypted content which is causing the problem until you download and open the file, see attached.

Many Thanks

Chris

Solution

Hi Chris,

The "encrypted" data is not really encrypted, but base64 encoded, a standard encoding mechanism for e-mail (which, for historical reasons, isn't guaranteed to be 8-bit clean). Running it through a decoder, you get the output as attached. What you can see, is that there's an enourmous amount of CSS, both as <style> and inline. This is typically caused by using the same Theme for the e-mail as for the normal Web App.

To fix this, you should create a new Theme, with very lightweight CSS (i.e. only what you need for the e-mail). That will probably shrink your e-mail to a reasonable size.

Solution

Hi Chris,

Can you check the Theme of the UI Flow that your Email is in?

I suspect it should be in a separate flow with an Email specific theme, instead of e.g. in the Mainflow that often has the Module Default Theme. The theme determines the CSS generated and even a very short e-mail will become too large. Something like this:

Hope this helps,

Kind regards,

Wouter.

Chris Olsen wrote:

Hi Kilian,

Thanks for you quick response.

I have no idea where the additional data comes from but it is nothing that I have added. I am not sure whether this is because it is being sent via TLS on the web server.

The rather large file is already attached above...

If the file is larger than 102k and mine is 133K then this is what you get. 

Ordinarily this would of course not happen and I have never seen this before.

If you then click on 'view entire message' you can see just the text that was sent.

You cannot see the very large block of what looks like encrypted content which is causing the problem until you download and open the file, see attached.

Many Thanks

Chris

Hi Kilian and Wouter,

Many thanks for all of your help, I suspected it had something to do with the CSS but could not work out what.

I had not full appreciated that the theme would be adopted by the email if it was in the Main Section.

Regards

Chris