upload excel file automatic and regularly

upload excel file automatic and regularly

  

Hi everyone,

I want to ask if i have a excel file in the same place, how can i upload it automatic and regularly to outsystems? 


Thank you!

Hi Eva,

Have a look on the Timer concept , it will help you to achieve this task.

Manikandan K wrote:

Hi Eva,

Have a look on the Timer concept , it will help you to achieve this task.

Thanks !!!!


Solution

Hi Eva,

If the Excel file is local, e.g. on your computer, you cannot do this. OutSystems software runs on a server, and it can only see files that are accessible to the Windows user running the webserver (most likely that will be IIS). If, however, the Excel file is on a shared network drive that the server user can access, then indeed like Manikandan writes you should use a Timer to retrieve the Excel file, parse it and use the data inside it.

Note however, that Timers are a very basic OutSystems Platform concept, and if you haven't heard of them, you probably didn't take the online training. Without the online training, getting a proper understanding of all the possibilities OutSystems offers is very difficult, so in that case I would urge you to take the training.

Solution

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi Eva,

If the Excel file is local, e.g. on your computer, you cannot do this. OutSystems software runs on a server, and it can only see files that are accessible to the Windows user running the webserver (most likely that will be IIS). If, however, the Excel file is on a shared network drive that the server user can access, then indeed like Manikandan writes you should use a Timer to retrieve the Excel file, parse it and use the data inside it.

Note however, that Timers are a very basic OutSystems Platform concept, and if you haven't heard of them, you probably didn't take the online training. Without the online training, getting a proper understanding of all the possibilities OutSystems offers is very difficult, so in that case I would urge you to take the training.

Thanks Kilian,

That's mean if i put the Excel files on the google drive and enable the server user can access it, then i use the Timer it can work it? 

The File Content I just put the link in it? 

Sorry for I just take a part of the online course only, i will have a look again, Thanks 


Hi Eva,

If it's on a Google Drive, you probably need the Google Drive Connector to access it, as the Google Drive contents are typically not synchronized to the local file system of a server.

The "File Content" Parameter of an Excel To Record List Statement is the Binary content of the file. I think you're a bit over your head in this, it's all quite complex, and not something I'd recommend a novice developer take on.

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi Eva,

If it's on a Google Drive, you probably need the Google Drive Connector to access it, as the Google Drive contents are typically not synchronized to the local file system of a server.

The "File Content" Parameter of an Excel To Record List Statement is the Binary content of the file. I think you're a bit over your head in this, it's all quite complex, and not something I'd recommend a novice developer take on.


Thanks Kilian

Hi Eva,

No, Google Drive is not a shared resource on the OutSystems server's network... What Kilian mentioned is a Network Share on Windows (you share folders from one Windows machine to others on the same network, like it is explained here).

If you want to use Google Drive to store your Excel you will need to use the Google Drive Connector to get the file first.

Edit: Looks like Kilian beat me to it, but I'll leave this post for the network share bit...

Jorge Martins wrote:

Hi Eva,

No, Google Drive is not a shared resource on the OutSystems server's network... What Kilian mentioned is a Network Share on Windows (you share folders from one Windows machine to others on the same network, like it is explained here).

If you want to use Google Drive to store your Excel you will need to use the Google Drive Connector to get the file first.

Oh oh I see, maybe i will try both methods. And i want to ask what should i put in the File Content?

Thanks 


Hi Eva,

Like I said, the binary content of the file. If you access a file on the network, take a look at the FileSystem component.

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi Eva,

Like I said, the binary content of the file. If you access a file on the network, take a look at the FileSystem component.

OK Thanks


Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi Eva,

Like I said, the binary content of the file. If you access a file on the network, take a look at the FileSystem component.


Hi Kilian, 

I have downloaded the file system, also have looked the discussion about it, But i am not clearly know how does it work.

Here is my action, and I have set the permission as everyone

where should I add my path ? 

Thank you

Hi Eva,

The Path Parameter is just a Text that points to the file you want to read. So if it's on a network share X:, it could be something like "X:\Data\ExcelFiles\MyExcel.xlsx" or the like. I'm really not sure what you're trying to do, with all the parentheses and all...

Hi Kilian,

Here is my simple version,

and i get the excel file on My Desktop, 

i can open the access for everyone, and have a assign for the field name,

then for the source of CreateOrUpdate action 

But have error 

Is that mean the Path can't link to the excel file? 

Eva,

Your application is running on the OutSystems Platform server, not on your local machine (where you are running Service Studio). If you want your application to be able to access a file on the server's file system, you have to place it there, not on your computer's desktop.

Thanks Jorge Martins,

i will find the method how to place the excel file to server's file system.


Hi Eva,

I feel we're running in circles now - I already told you, in the post that's marked as solution, that you cannot do this! I explained the alternative (using a network share), but it seems that flew right past you.

Also, you seem to try to use the name of an Action in the Source of an Entity Create - this leads me to believe you haven't got a clue about what you're doing, and you haven't followed the online training etc. Please, take the online training first before attempting to do things like this!