Forge component is paid ?

I am new to the Outsystems, I want to know about Forge component Pricing, is any hidden Price is there if i will use any forge component? One of my friends suggested me that try to make your own component instead of using Forge component because some forge components are paid, initially, they don't ask about money but at the time of publishing your app, they will ask for payment.

I am a little bit confuse please clarify me.

Thank you

Gautam sharma wrote:

I am new to the Outsystems, I want to know about Forge component Pricing, is any hidden Price is there if i will use any forge component? One of my friends suggested me that try to make your own component instead of using Forge component because some forge components are paid, initially, they don't ask about money but at the time of publishing your app, they will ask for payment.

I am a little bit confuse please clarify me.

Thank you


Hi Gautam sharma,

Forge components are published by our community members so that others can make use of these components in their applications or can use them for reference.Components which I have used in my applications till date never asked me for any pricing.

Thanks,

Priya Khade wrote:

Gautam sharma wrote:

I am new to the Outsystems, I want to know about Forge component Pricing, is any hidden Price is there if i will use any forge component? One of my friends suggested me that try to make your own component instead of using Forge component because some forge components are paid, initially, they don't ask about money but at the time of publishing your app, they will ask for payment.

I am a little bit confuse please clarify me.

Thank you


Hi Gautam sharma,

Forge components are published by our community members so that others can make use of these components in their applications or can use them for reference.Components which I have used in my applications till date never asked me for any pricing.

Thanks,

Thanks for your information.


Gautam sharma wrote:

I am new to the Outsystems, I want to know about Forge component Pricing, is any hidden Price is there if i will use any forge component? One of my friends suggested me that try to make your own component instead of using Forge component because some forge components are paid, initially, they don't ask about money but at the time of publishing your app, they will ask for payment.

I am a little bit confuse please clarify me.

Thank you

Hi,

You can use forge component in your applications and they never ask for payment.



Thanks,

Rajat Agrawal

Hello Gautam,

Forge components are provided free of charge: https://success.outsystems.com/Support/Forge_Components/Forge_FAQs/Overview#What_do_you_mean_by_.E2.80.9Copen_source_projects.E2.80.9D.3F

But pay attention that some components may require paid licences if they are just wrappers for external APIs, like Twillio, etc.

Cheers.

Specifically, they all use the MIT license.

J.Ja

Eduardo Jauch wrote:

Hello Gautam,

Forge components are provided free of charge: https://success.outsystems.com/Support/Forge_Components/Forge_FAQs/Overview#What_do_you_mean_by_.E2.80.9Copen_source_projects.E2.80.9D.3F

But pay attention that some components may require paid licences if they are just wrappers for external APIs, like Twillio, etc.

Cheers.

Hi!

Eduardo Jauch, on the page you refer above it's written:

"However, the open nature of the OutSystems Forge does not prevent individual contributors from sharing projects with other types of licenses, such as GPL. OutSystems does not monitor the licensing terms for any projects shared in the Forge by community members. It is the sole responsibility of the user of projects in the Forge to verify the licensing model being used and to comply with the respective terms."

Anyone can clarify if it means that beyond the "wrappers for external APIs" it's possible to publish Forge components with a commercial / paid license?

Thanks in advance,

Ricardo

Ricardo Barroso wrote:

Eduardo Jauch wrote:

Hello Gautam,

Forge components are provided free of charge: https://success.outsystems.com/Support/Forge_Components/Forge_FAQs/Overview#What_do_you_mean_by_.E2.80.9Copen_source_projects.E2.80.9D.3F

But pay attention that some components may require paid licences if they are just wrappers for external APIs, like Twillio, etc.

Cheers.

Hi!

Eduardo Jauch, on the page you refer above it's written:

"However, the open nature of the OutSystems Forge does not prevent individual contributors from sharing projects with other types of licenses, such as GPL. OutSystems does not monitor the licensing terms for any projects shared in the Forge by community members. It is the sole responsibility of the user of projects in the Forge to verify the licensing model being used and to comply with the respective terms."

Anyone can clarify if it means that beyond the "wrappers for external APIs" it's possible to publish Forge components with a commercial / paid license?

Thanks in advance,

Ricardo

All Forge components, when the author uploads them, are put under the BSD license by default. That is to be VERY clear:

The code in the component itself is under BSD license. Any other code, such as libraries referenced, third party APIs, etc. have whatever license they might have.

But if it is uploaded to the Forge, it is BSD license.

If there is a different license, it needs to be made explicitly clear.

Furthermore, the Forge does not provide any system of enforcing commercial licenses. The Forge will NOT block a download, the IPP system will NOT prevent IPP to a different environment, Service Studio and Integration Studio will NOT forbid anyone from opening the OML, OAP, XIF, or OSP files, and so on.

See screenshots below for the official wording.

J.Ja

Justin James wrote:

Ricardo Barroso wrote:

Eduardo Jauch wrote:

Hello Gautam,

Forge components are provided free of charge: https://success.outsystems.com/Support/Forge_Components/Forge_FAQs/Overview#What_do_you_mean_by_.E2.80.9Copen_source_projects.E2.80.9D.3F

But pay attention that some components may require paid licences if they are just wrappers for external APIs, like Twillio, etc.

Cheers.

Hi!

Eduardo Jauch, on the page you refer above it's written:

"However, the open nature of the OutSystems Forge does not prevent individual contributors from sharing projects with other types of licenses, such as GPL. OutSystems does not monitor the licensing terms for any projects shared in the Forge by community members. It is the sole responsibility of the user of projects in the Forge to verify the licensing model being used and to comply with the respective terms."

Anyone can clarify if it means that beyond the "wrappers for external APIs" it's possible to publish Forge components with a commercial / paid license?

Thanks in advance,

Ricardo

All Forge components, when the author uploads them, are put under the BSD license by default. That is to be VERY clear:

The code in the component itself is under BSD license. Any other code, such as libraries referenced, third party APIs, etc. have whatever license they might have.

But if it is uploaded to the Forge, it is BSD license.

If there is a different license, it needs to be made explicitly clear.

Furthermore, the Forge does not provide any system of enforcing commercial licenses. The Forge will NOT block a download, the IPP system will NOT prevent IPP to a different environment, Service Studio and Integration Studio will NOT forbid anyone from opening the OML, OAP, XIF, or OSP files, and so on.

See screenshots below for the official wording.

J.Ja

Justin, thanks your detailed explanation.

So in sum, the default license for uploaded Forge components is the BSD license but it seems clear that we can upload a component explicitly indicating any other license and nothing says it can't be a commercial one.

What I understand is that OutSystems forge is not a store like App Store / Google Play Store where you can sell software and they will not guarantee that the license is fulfilled by the users which downloaded the component.

Thanks,

Ricardo




Ricardo -

Correct on all parts. There are Ideas in the Ideas board related to changing the Forge to make it easier to do a commercial license and get paid for it, if that is your desire, I suggest you look those up, upvote them, and add your own comments as well.

J.Ja

Justin, thanks for letting me know that. Despite being quite new to OutSystems, yes, at first glance I think it would make total sense to have more like a kind of a Forge "store", also allowing to easily publish commercial components/plugins/applications, and get paid.

More, I believe that would incentivate more people with other backgrounds, to start trying and implementing some components/applications without being dependent on already having a client or working to an OutSystems company, to try make some profit from it.

Sorry if I'm missing something but I think actually there is a kind of barrier to new OutSystems professionals because without some exceptions, you must bet 100% on changing your career to OutSystems and you can't enter on it with "small steps/projects" like you can do on other technologies/fields.

Cheers,

Ricardo