Hi guys,

Do you want to stay ahead of the curve and have access to the latest features?

Are you an early adopter?

Do you want to give feedback on the new features so that we can change them even before they go public?

I’m glad to announce that we have just released our first Service Studio Beta version!! If your answer is ‘Yes’ to one of the previous questions, this version is for you!!

This is basically the same stable version available in our downloads page but with some additional features that are still in Beta that will be automatically updated every time there is a new version (this is the last download/install you will do!).

So, what are the next steps?

1. Download and install this Service Studio version here and just use it

2. Keep sending us all the feedback (we are listening!)

As always, a big thank you for your collaboration and willingness to help us build a better product!

By the way, in our first Beta launch, we already have a new Beta feature: a new Forge Integration in the application list that allows you to quickly update your forge components.

Hope you like it!

Hi,

Great initiative and nice improvement to quickly see a list of forge components that have newer version in the forge, works like a charm!

Here is my feedback:

1. it would be nice when you press the update, that it immediately starts, now it brings you to the component page on the forge and there you have to press update again. Only in case of warnings (force install) the extra step via the component page should be done.
  2. If there are more then 9 updates it says 9+, it would be more informative if the actual count is shown (at least in a tooltip when you hover the notification icon). 
  3. An update all link would be nice too, so you can just schedule update of all take a coffee break or a nice walk when there are many updates, and have all your applications up to date when you come back.

Regards,

Daniel

I noticed another change, and am not sure if it is intentionally, but when pressing the service center icon in service studio it opens service center directly in the browser. I think that is just fine, as I prefer using service in the browser. Just wondered if this is intentionally as a new beta version feature.

Hi Team,

Thanks for this release. Was waiting for it since ODC. 

I also prefer to open the service center.

And plz we really need an update all. I had more than 50 components to update.

Regards,

Marcelo

Stoyan Garbatov wrote:

Keep sending us all the feedback (we are listening!)

Could you clarify how beta users can submit feedback to the beta program?

Hi Leonardo, 

You have the normal feedback button on the menu 

Regards,

Marcelo

Daniël Kuhlmann wrote:

I noticed another change, and am not sure if it is intentionally, but when pressing the service center icon in service studio it opens service center directly in the browser. I think that is just fine, as I prefer using service in the browser. Just wondered if this is intentionally as a new beta version feature.

Yes, that's intentional. Opening it in SS itself caused all kinds of problems, so OS decided to just open it in the browser instead (which I also prefer myself). The only downside is you don't get logged in automagically.

Daniël Kuhlmann wrote:

1. it would be nice when you press the update, that it immediately starts, now it brings you to the component page on the forge and there you have to press update again. Only in case of warnings (force install) the extra step via the component page should be done.
  2. If there are more then 9 updates it says 9+, it would be more informative if the actual count is shown (at least in a tooltip when you hover the notification icon). 
  3. An update all link would be nice too, so you can just schedule update of all take a coffee break or a nice walk when there are many updates, and have all your applications up to date when you come back.

Marcelo Ferreira wrote:

And plz we really need an update all. I had more than 50 components to update.

Hi Daniël and Marcelo,

Thank you for the great feedback - I will pass it on to the team!

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Daniël Kuhlmann wrote:

Yes, that's intentional. Opening it in SS itself caused all kinds of problems, so OS decided to just open it in the browser instead (which I also prefer myself). The only downside is you don't get logged in automagically.

Daniël, it is as Kilian said, the change to opening SC in SS is intentional. It is already available in Development Environment 11 - Release 9 - RC.

Another good initiative. Keep going !! I Will download and give feedback!! 

Thanks a lot Alberto! :)

Hello Vasco

I already start to try the Beta Version of SS. I think that could be usefull inform user that can keep both installations of SS in local machine. The Normal release and the Beta.

That could encourage  more people to try!

Regards

Hey Alberto,

Thanks for the feedback!

Actually, for the beta we are using the same version as the stable one just adding 1 or 2 features that are still in Beta. This means the same product with the same quality! Nevertheless, you can indeed install them side-by-side.

Hope we have a lot of Beta users trying out the new features!

Cheers,

Hi people,

It's a very nice initiative, but some times I see the version of Service Studio Beta stays behind the stable one...

Thank you.

You are right Marcio. It seems that no make sense keep using the beta version....

Hello Márcio and Alberto.

Let me start by explaining the intrinsics why that can happen:

That experience is normal. Service Studio auto-update depends on a task that is registered in Windows Task Scheduler and runs every "x" hours. If you have both Beta and non-Beta version, that implies 2 different tasks to update both versions.

This means that you have 2 tasks that run at different times. Due to this, there are several reasons that can lead to a Beta version being temporarily behind. For instance, one task might run at a time and another at another time when you don't have the laptop on. Or one can run perfectly and the other might not be able to download the installer when it runs (e.g.: network issue). Or you don't close the non-Beta for a long time (and you usually do a laptop hibernate) and the auto-update needs a restart of Service Studio.

Having this in mind, why should anyone use the Beta version?

With the Beta version, any developer can be an early adopter of new features and give feedback on how to improve the product. Those new features won't necessarily be right away in the next non-Beta version. Example:

• Beta is released with version 1 and has feature A;
  • Non-Beta is released with version 2 and without feature A (e.g.: we didn't get enough feedback yet);
  • Beta is released with version 2 and has feature A and B;
  • Non-Beta is released with version 2 and has feature B (e.g.: we're improving the experience of feature A with all the feedback from our developers);

Just a final note: Unlike a nightly build (like Firefox Nightly), the Beta version contains the same code as the general availability version but with added features. You can expect the exact same quality in the Beta version as in the normal releases.

Thanks

Thanks Cesar for you clarification!

Hello again.

Just to add up, although the explanation I provided in the above post is still valid, in this particular case it was actually a case of human error. Both versions are using the same internal revision (e.g.: 217765), but because we "fired" the release pipeline of the Beta first, it got a lower version number. We "fired" the release pipeline of the non-Beta a few minutes later, but that meant it got a higher version number.

Nevertheless, the above explanation is still valid in normal situations.

Thanks and sorry for the confusion.

Hello César,

Although your clarification justifies what we are seeing, it's very confuse and in software development world we have many other way to manage this, like semantic versioning.
You could number Service Studio Beta 11.1.x.y and not 11.0.x.y like non-beta.
These environment solutions cause some confusion sometimes.

I know you can move this forward and make us still motivated to use beta versions, mainly if we could know what features the beta version contains.

Thank you for your clarifications.

Hey Márcio,

As César was saying, this was just a human error so it won't hopefully happen anymore in the future.

We are already rethinking the way we name versions and considering semantic versioning (actually there is already an idea for that). Nevertheless, since this was a human error generating the name of the version, this wouldn't help (we could also make a mistake giving the version name).

Regarding the features you have available in Service Studio Beta, currently...

• Manage Dependencies is 2x faster in Beta version (this will be released in stable version as well in the end of the month)
  • Soon, you'll have the ability to quickly search elements in all modules of your environment (only available in Beta for now)

Don't forget to check Service Studio's what's new to check the latest features ;)