HowTo set unique FQDN per Espace

We use the PaaS environment and we want to have several apps/espaces published via the following FQDN structure: httpS://<appname>.<ourdomainname>.com. 

I know that I can create an FQDN for the entire Outsystems environment (link) but that is not what I'm looking for. This would result in something like outsystems.<ourdomainname>.com/<appname>.  

If we would run our own Outsystems environment I could (if read correctly) simply configure IIS to accept the domain names but we are not so that's no solution. 

As I mentioned I need it in https mode so I would also need to be able to upload a usable certificate.

Does anyone know if this is possible? If not I will create an Idea for it (I couldn't find one before posting this).

Hi Vincent,

In order to achieve what you want, you can do the following.

1. Request and upload a wildcard certificate (*.yourdomain.com) into your OutSystems server.
  2. Redirect all sub-domains (app1.yourdomain.com, ...appN.yourdomain.com) to the root of your IIS environment.
  3. Setup the SEO Uris in Administration > SEO URLs > Site Rules. Make sure your sub-domain is in the first field and let it redirect to your preferred application.

This way you should be able to extend with new sub-domains for new applications.

When you have a fixed number of sub-domains and you are really sure you are not going to extend, you can also choose a SAN certificate. This is a certificate with a fixed number of domains. When you need to add another domain, you always have to request a new certificate for all existing domains, which is a little more work.

Kind regards,

Remco Dekkinga

Hi Remco,

As far as I know I don't have access to the IIS Component in the PaaS (hosted) environment of Outsystems. If I can access this can you point me in direction on how to access this?

Kind regards,

Vincent

Hi Vincent,

You don´t need access to the IIS, but you need to redirect the subdomains (from your DNS) to the root of your IIS (which is most probably an IP address or default domain name like www.yourdomain.com or outsystems.yourdomain.com).

Kind regards,

Remco Dekkinga

Thanks, 

I'll look into it. All I need is a certificate, a cname to route from mydomain to the outsystemsenterprise.com domain and some configuration in de environments configuration panel. That should be doable. Thnx!

I'll mark your answer as soon as I tested it (can take some time). 

Kind regards,

Vincent

Vincent,

Good luck and if you need more help, you can always send me a PM.

Kind regards,

Remco

May I ask a bit about the reason for the use case here for that need?

In particular I'm interested in understanding how isolated whould be the multiple applications.

- Will the same user access more than one application?

- if yes to the first question, Is single sign on expected to work between multiple applications? What about shared session information?

- Do they share database data between applications?

Regards,

João Rosado

Hi Joao,

1. Yes. It can be any combination of application access. 

2. No. Single Sign-on is not expected. In our cloud transition everybody has gotten used to login to every website so this it no a big issue.

3. Most of the times not. All application have their own databases. Although in Outsystems we are now capable to separate parts of databases (like a Port database, a vessel database, etc) into other applications/modules. These can be shared/referenced between applications. We normally would duplicate that data via a Service Bus orso. 

I you have any more questions about our business reason for wanting separate domain names for our applications please feel free to email me directly. 

Kind Regards.

Vincent Koning