Database Connection to External Database Fail

Hi Dears,

I'm trying to create an integration with an external database. I created an Amazon account, an SQL server instance, a Database, and a Table. I can access the database and the table through SQL Server Management Studio, and even through an ODBC table of an MS-Access. But when I try to create the database connection in the OS Service Center, it gives the error: "Connection String test failed: A network-related or instance-specific...". What could it be?

Are you trying this from an enterprise or a personal environment? Is there a firewall on the SQL Server?  It's some type of network connectivity issue between the two.

Hi Stacey,

I'm using an enterprise environment, not personal. I think that there is not a firewall in the SQL Server site, because I get connect through an ODBC Driver with a MS-Access 2003. All database tables are listed. And I 'm using the same string connect (server name), that works in Odbc.

Thanks,

Roberto

Are you in the OutSystems cloud or your own server environment? The reason that I ask is that the connection when you do the test is from the server (wherever that is) to the external database.

Thanks,

Stacey

Hi Stacey,

I am in the Outsystems cloud. Yes, the connection is from Outsystems cloud to external database. The successful tests that I did were from my computer to external database (AWS RDS - Amazon).

Thanks,

Roberto

Hi Roberto,

It could be that you need to use the internal IP/name of the SQL server machine. At least at some point in the past, VMs within AWS could not "see" each other using the public IPs/hostnames.

HI Jorge,

Thanks for you attention! In my case I'm not using the TCP/IP, but  the endpoint conecction string informed by Amazon. This endpoint allow me connect using SQL SMMT front-end, and even a linked table in a MS-Access 2003. But I understand that my computer is a notebook with Windows 7, not a virtual machine.

Stacey Levine is trying to help me, and I will ask OS suport aided.

Best Regards,

Roberto

Solution

Hi,

Following up in case others come here. When creating an AWS RDS Instance, you need to make sure that you are doing a few things - especially if the database is not behind a firewall/VPN.  Enable public access and if you set Security Group Rules, remember that the server is the one that is connecting and not your PC. Initially, the security group rules allowed only inbound access from your PC. The server is the one that actually needs access.

Solution