Web Notifications in on-promises environment

Hi guys,

I would like to create a WEB notifications solution in my environment (on-promises). Due to data security issues, I can not use the Firebase.

Has anyone done anything like this?

Thanks.

Francisco

Have you checked out any of the other available components on the Forge? Or are you completely unable to use third-party components?

A quick search of the web says that every implementation uses FCM/GCM. Even if you use a 3rd party component. Just a few samples returned from a google search:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/41827156/can-we-do-web-push-notifications-in-chrome-without-using-gcm-fcm

https://blog.pushengage.com/the-complete-guide-to-implementing-browser-push-notifications-without-a-vendor-lock-in/

G. Andrew Duthie wrote:

Have you checked out any of the other available components on the Forge? Or are you completely unable to use third-party components?

Yes, I can use a third party component developed by outsystems, but the data of the notifications need to be stored in my environment (On-promises).

I had already seen the following solutions:

• Web Notifications - use firebase
  • In-App Notifications Web / Core - use Firebase
  • OneSignal - android and iOS

But no one answers me.

Hey Francisco,

As far as I know, all the push notification providers work using FCM (or APN, for Safari). What you're requesting, with the current "off the shelf" offering, seems unattainable.

My suggestion is either:

a) you detail the reason why you don't want your data passing through FCM - I foresee two possible reasons: 1) no internet connection and/or b) sensitive data.

b) you try to implement/outsource a custom solution that, likely, won't be that cheap.

If you need to take things a little bit more private, feel free to drop me a message. If not, feel free to let us all know :)

Cheers!

Armando Gomes wrote:

Hey Francisco,

As far as I know, all the push notification providers work using FCM (or APN, for Safari). What you're requesting, with the current "off the shelf" offering, seems unattainable.

My suggestion is either:

a) you detail the reason why you don't want your data passing through FCM - I foresee two possible reasons: 1) no internet connection and/or b) sensitive data.

b) you try to implement/outsource a custom solution that, likely, won't be that cheap.

If you need to take things a little bit more private, feel free to drop me a message. If not, feel free to let us all know :)

Cheers!

Hi Armando,

You are right, the problem is the sensitive data. I can not traffic information outside de corporation. 

I'm thinking about your B solution, implementing a custom notifications solution. I do not know if I'll have all this time.

Do you have any architectural suggestions for this type of solution?

Thanks.

Hey Francisco,

At the moment, with the information that you have provided, I cannot propose any solution at all since it could:

a) be too generic that it would not work and/or

b) be completely inappropriate to your desired outcome

As such, I'm available to take this subject private if you think it would be best.

Cheers!