[BeaconsPlugin] Beacon triggering enter and exit events repeteadly

Forge Component
(3)
Published on 2017-10-25 by Experts
3 votes
Published on 2017-10-25 by Experts

Hello, I am trying to integrate Beacons to outsystems using the Beacons Plugin in Forge.

When i am using the Beacon with the bluetooth on, que device detects that it entered in a Beacon region, but after some time (10 seconds or 30, it variates a lot) the exit event is triggered and after some time again (same as described) the device triggers the enter event.

I did'nt moved or touched the device or the beacon during these triggers, they just happens.

Anyone know how can I solve this issue??

Hi Eduardo

I have some experience with Beacons, and have seen this issue as well. My best guess is the shaky bluetooth signal strength that the beacon emits sometimes makes the mobile device not receive the signal, thus triggering the OnExit, and then triggering the OnEnter again when the signal grows stronger (I have seen this more and more when the Beacon's battery is running out).

To circumvent this issue, we implemented an OnExit count, where an OnExit event had to trigger 2 or 3 times consecutively before actually triggering the message we wanted the user to see upon exiting the store.

Hope this helps!

- CLSJ

Carlos López Santibáñez Jácome wrote:

Hi Carlos, that's a great idea, I'm going to try this tomorrow.

My only question is, the repetition of the enter/exit events occurs frequently on the Android than in iOS.

Do you think that this solution could helps to control the situation on the both devices?

Thanks in Advance.

Hi Eduardo

I have some experience with Beacons, and have seen this issue as well. My best guess is the shaky bluetooth signal strength that the beacon emits sometimes makes the mobile device not receive the signal, thus triggering the OnExit, and then triggering the OnEnter again when the signal grows stronger (I have seen this more and more when the Beacon's battery is running out).

To circumvent this issue, we implemented an OnExit count, where an OnExit event had to trigger 2 or 3 times consecutively before actually triggering the message we wanted the user to see upon exiting the store.

Hope this helps!

- CLSJ

Solution

I don't see why not. Beacon scanning interval should happen on a regular basis on both OS. 

The thing with Android (and this is something you will have to deal with a lot, as any mobile dev can tell you) is the ecosystem is extremely varied. So a Samsung Galaxy S10 might (and probably does) have a much better bluetooth antenna than a Xiaomi economy phone, whereas all iOS devices usually have consistent hardware performance.

Just try to find the right balance between consecutive exit events and length of time that passes when a device leaves a zone and the OnExit message was triggered. For us this right balance was 3 OnExits without an OnEnter in between.

-CLSJ

P.S. Also be sure to test where is the best place to physically set your beacon, and test remote corners when the beacon is set. Depending on Beacon brand, power and physical location you might need more than one beacon to cover just one zone. 

Solution