Transition from J2EE stack to .net.

Hi. How to migrate with minimal cost all extensions from JAVA to C#?

The current Outsystems platform is 9.1 J2EE. Target platform: Outsystems 11 .net.

Hi,

If you are using extensions, the first thing to do is to figure out what you are really using and are they still necessary. If the functions in those extensions can be exposed as an REST API instead of being called as an extension then that is one approach. If you need it still as an extension and a similar one does not exist in the platform, then you would need to rewrite it.

Stacey Levine wrote:

Hi,

If you are using extensions, the first thing to do is to figure out what you are really using and are they still necessary. If the functions in those extensions can be exposed as an REST API instead of being called as an extension then that is one approach. If you need it still as an extension and a similar one does not exist in the platform, then you would need to rewrite it.

You can learn more about JAVA extensions and REST API? What's the connection between them? The goal is not to rewrite all the visual code, move it as it is, and only move the extensions to the new platform and make it work all together.

Dear Sergey,

You can have both .net and J2ee stack together running on the your platform. (Stacey/Experts: correct me if I am wrong). Below discussion can give you some more insight.

https://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/9519/how-to-configure-integration-studio-to-work-with-net-and-java-j2ee-extensions/

That is, Outsystems version 11 on the .net stack can run extensions in both JAVA and C# at the same time, and can run extensions in two languages in the same visual code?

Mohammed, 

That link that you pointed to is to configure intergration studio for both .net and JAVA - NOT the platform. While in theory you could write a .net extension that calls JAVA code, its not really recommended.

@Sergey - you are going to have to do work. As mentioned, first figure out what you need from the existing set. It is entirely possible that you have written extension that you don’t need.  As for what the connection is between JAVA and REST. None. It’s just a way to expose the JAVA code in a way that it doesn’t matter what the platform is running on.  If you can’t do that and you need the code in the extension, then you have no choice but to rewrite the extensions.  If you don’t know .net, there are various JAVA <—> C# converters online that can help with various degrees of success.

Stacey

Sergey Palagin wrote:

That is, Outsystems version 11 on the .net stack can run extensions in both JAVA and C# at the same time, and can run extensions in two languages in the same visual code?

No.this is incorrect.

@Stacey. In the organization where I work, unfortunately a lot of extensions and a huge amount of visual code (~2,700,000 blocks) and the code is constantly increasing every day. In these circumstances, I need to organize the transition from the outdated platform 9.1 to the new 11.

Hi Sergey,

There is no shortcut that I can offer you. By visual code, I am assuming that you mean standard OutSystems code. That should port directly, keeping aware of any caveats in the release notes between 9.1 and 11.  For your extensions, you are going to have to go with one of the options I presented.

Stacey