My CSS changes to the Style Sheet don't seem to work.

Hi everyone! I'm learning Outsystems right now and I am loving the tutorials. I've been following them to the letter and have had no problem so far. I am currently on The Style Sheets Exercise of Mobile Development II. The PDF is '5.4x-Style Sheets Exercise.pdf'

It has me editing the CSS file, publishing, but it seems like none of my changes are sticking. 

To be clear: the code seems to save and publish, but none of the changes in the tutorial seem to be reflected in the application

I'm a programmer, but CSS is relatively new to me. That said, I'm fairly certain I'm following the tutorial correctly. The code under the Theme properties tab, Style Sheet property is definitely correct and has the code I took straight from the tutorial pdf. Any direction or help would be wonderfully appreciated.

Solution

Can you share an OML of your current app?

One thing to watch out for is that if you are copy/pasting from the PDF, you may be inadvertently including incompatible characters when you're pasting in the CSS. PDF files can include non-printing characters that you won't see in the CSS editor, but which can potentially prevent the CSS rules from working.

Try typing the CSS in by hand and see if that fixes the issue.

Solution

Some times the changes have to be very specific. "Inspect" your screen in the browser to see what classes are overlapping  your CSS. 

There are some videos in OutSystems site that explain CSS very well , like this one

https://www.outsystems.com/learn/lesson/935/css-basics-part-1/?LearningPathId=2

Steffan Mouton wrote:

Hi everyone! I'm learning Outsystems right now and I am loving the tutorials. I've been following them to the letter and have had no problem so far. I am currently on The Style Sheets Exercise of Mobile Development II. The PDF is '5.4x-Style Sheets Exercise.pdf'

It has me editing the CSS file, publishing, but it seems like none of my changes are sticking. 

To be clear: the code seems to save and publish, but none of the changes in the tutorial seem to be reflected in the application

I'm a programmer, but CSS is relatively new to me. That said, I'm fairly certain I'm following the tutorial correctly. The code under the Theme properties tab, Style Sheet property is definitely correct and has the code I took straight from the tutorial pdf. Any direction or help would be wonderfully appreciated.

Best I can tell you is, Share your Demo URL.. So that FOlks here can easily check & reply you.

G. Andrew Duthie wrote:

Can you share an OML of your current app?

One thing to watch out for is that if you are copy/pasting from the PDF, you may be inadvertently including incompatible characters when you're pasting in the CSS. PDF files can include non-printing characters that you won't see in the CSS editor, but which can potentially prevent the CSS rules from working.

Try typing the CSS in by hand and see if that fixes the issue.

This was definitely it! I went through, deleted all the space that could have hidden characters, and retyped things manually. Must have grabbed the hidden characters from the PDF. Thank you so much!