Free text field in a combo box or input box with suggestions.

My screen has a form with a name and a value for an item. Users can type any name into the box and save it. But since I want to categorise the items by name, I want to make my users pick a name from a list, but still have the possibility of entering in a value they want but is not in the list.

So basically, I want to have a combo box where the user gets a free field to type in their own value.

This is not about a search option.

How would I go about making this?

Hey Rob,

You can use select2, selectize or chosen components to allow this.
These components have the option to allow a new entry from the user, while at the same time allow a prefilled list of items for the user to select from (and search from). If no value is found the user gets the option to "add" this as a new option instead.

Joey Moree wrote:

Hey Rob,

You can use select2, selectize or chosen components to allow this.
These components have the option to allow a new entry from the user, while at the same time allow a prefilled list of items for the user to select from (and search from). If no value is found the user gets the option to "add" this as a new option instead.

I'm actually looking for an option that doesn't require me to download a forge item. 

I don't want the user to be able to add a new option, I want the user to either choose from the list or put their own name in. The suggestion list cannot change.

You don't have to persist the data to your selection list though.

But if you want to do it without a component, you could just create a button, "create new" which toggle the view to an input instead. (outsystems just doesn't have a component like this by default).

Joey Moree wrote:

You don't have to persist the data to your selection list though.

But if you want to do it without a component, you could just create a button, "create new" which toggle the view to an input instead. (outsystems just doesn't have a component like this by default).

Thank you, I will try the button.