How to recommend OutSystems to fellow developers?

Seems most developers still want nothing to do with a low-code visual environment, preferring to go straight to code. What do you do to engage new developers? Or is it the 'business managers' that bring low-code to developers and demand they use it? :) 

Hey Gavriel,

I've separate developers from coders.  Developers like to solve problems and provide value to the business through IT solutions, while coders want to write their lines of code.  I don't have a great answer for those who fall into the coders category, but when I introduce the platform to other developers I try to stay focused on providing value.

Another perspective is for developers who have less of a passion for UI work.  I tell them it lets them quickly work through the UI side so they can spend time working on the fun and challenging parts of a solution, e.g. supporting web services.

In the end though, you really just have to feel people out.  Some will never be interested and will not change.

Hey Craig, thanks for the insight. Developers vs Coders. Makes sense. I'm more on the business-side of things. Becoming curious about ML and thus python. But in terms of how outsystems (or other visual programming tools) get adopted, would you say it's still developers that push it into the business, or does adoption actually come from more team leader positions like yours, or even higher level CTO types? 

I agree with what Craig said.

But whatever you do, it's important that you never "demand" anyone to use low-code (or any other technology, for that matter). The projects with that mentality are the projects that fail, and the projects that lose key people.

Low-code is great, and I believe you agree with that (since you're here in these forums), but it should be a career choice to use it. There's lots of space in the market for traditional technologies, and the developers choose to stick to them have no problems finding other jobs. So it doesn't make sense to force someone to convert to low-code. They will just leave and continue coding Java or C# or PHP. And you've lost your investment in that developer.

There will always be people that will frown upon low-code. Just like we can still find people that like C/C++ and frown upon managed languages such as Java and C#.

Regarding your quesiton - who pushes OutSystems into businesses. I think it's mostly CTO/management or architects. It will rarely be the developers (I actually don't remember a single case). It's a more strategic decision, and it usually takes into account ROI and long-term roadmaps.

Hi Gavriel,

I also agree with the Developers vs Coders vision, there will be always people that prefer the code lines instead of a low-code platform.

I think that the demand for low-code most of the times come from business and higher management due to the speed that you can deliver apps and the faster you delivery the faster you will get the return. 

Nowadays the time to market is everything.

After some time doing low code projects you realize that it's not a matter of presenting low code to developers but presenting developers to low code.

People need to get emotionally ready to be part of a market that is a bit far away from what they've been presented during Academy. They need to leave some mind blocking ideas behind and bet on a career change that is, as many coders would say, too risky to try.

Freeing up their mind and coming to that maturity level turns anyone into a less frustration-prone professional when presented to a low code paradigm.