CreateOrUpdate : Violation of PRIMARY KEY constraint

I'm testing the CreateOrUpdate action behaviour.

The primary key is of text type and is a concatenation of other attributes

The first row is inserted with the specified text primary key.

Id: Test1Test2

Attribute1: Test1

Attribute2: Test2

Attribute3: Test3

Then, using the same primary key, a new updated record is created. 

Id: Test1Test2

Attribute1: Test1

Attribute2: Test2

Attribute3: Test3-update

When passing this new record to the CreateOrUpdate action, the error is raised - Violation of PRIMARY KEY constraint 'OSPRK_OSUSR_KC0_CREATEORUPDATE3'. Cannot insert duplicate key in object 'dbo.OSUSR_KC0_CREATEORUPDATE3'. The duplicate key value is (Test1Test2).

How to overcome this?

Hi Nuno,

The CreateOrUpdate Entity actions will always attempt to update existing records. Are you sure you're using CreateOrUpdate instead of Create? Can you show us screenshots of your logic and Entity?

Afonso Carvalho wrote:

Hi Nuno,

The CreateOrUpdate Entity actions will always attempt to update existing records. Are you sure you're using CreateOrUpdate instead of Create? Can you show us screenshots of your logic and Entity?

Thank you very much Afonso. In attach the files

Both actions in the main flow say "CreateCreateOrUpdate". It's the "Create" part that I'm finding a bit odd. 

Can you validate that the Action is indeed a CreateOrUpdate? If it starts with just Create, then it will be the cause of your error.

Would you feel comfortable sharing the application?

Afonso Carvalho wrote:

Both actions in the main flow say "CreateCreateOrUpdate". It's the "Create" part that I'm finding a bit odd. 

Can you validate that the Action is indeed a CreateOrUpdate? If it starts with just Create, then it will be the cause of your error.

Would you feel comfortable sharing the application?

Thanks. Sure, here it goes

Solution

This is the issue:

Your last action is not a CreateOrUpdate: it's a Create. The difference is that it won't try to update an existing record but it will force the database to create a new record. This is what causes your primary key problem.

Switch it to use the second action on that list (CreateOrUpdateCreateOrUpdate) and you shouldn't have any problems.

Solution

Thanks Afonso! Next time I'll choose other names for the actions ':)

Yeah, that Entity name is cursed. Lesson learned!