Refactoring an old WebApp - use its tables

Hi all!

I just upgraded to v11 and I'll like to use the new templates / features to make a "v2" of my web apps.

Which is the "cleanest way" to use the old tables from the "v1" WebApp ?

I really want to "move" the tables from the old app to the new one ... and not to "link" the old tables in the new app.

Thanks !

Hi Luca,

Have you checked this component? It should allow you to move your Entities without losing your data.

https://www.outsystems.com/forge/component-discussions/496/Refactor

I'm looking at it ... but ... it's not compatible with the v11 ?

My bad. I heard about it in the Outsystems Developer Conference and didn't realise it never made the jump to 11. I was looking at the Support page to see if anyone had any complaints, and I see someone already mentions this.

You could consider posting there as well and add your voice to the issue. There's other ways to clone data from Entities, like using webservices to connect Espaces and passing the data along, or directly accessing the physical tables and moving the data yourself, but they're both time consuming compared to using an already existing Forge component.

Actually (the fastest and "cleanest" way that I found) it's to re-create the tables and, with my Oracle SQL Developer, make an INSERT from the old tables ... to the new tables ...

Hi Luca,

The biggest changes from V10 to v11 is UI. Why don't you keep the tables in a core module just with the tables and crud actions and than create nem modules with the new templates to keep all the screens and reference the core module.

Regards,

Marcelo

your suggestion is great ... but, unfortunately, I don't have a "core" module ... everything (pages and DB) is in the same module ...

my fault !

Hi luca,

This is a good time to do that change. Turn that old module into the core one and create a new one to be the UI. This new one would be nice to have a new template.

Regards,

Marcelo

yes ... it's a great idea ... I'll try it ! 

Luca De Mori wrote:

Actually (the fastest and "cleanest" way that I found) it's to re-create the tables and, with my Oracle SQL Developer, make an INSERT from the old tables ... to the new tables ...

I try to avoid interacting with the database directly unless there's a special set of circumstances. I've seen several cases where bypassing the platform breeds bad habits.

But I agree with you that having to move these Entities might very well be considered special enough circumstances.