Simple ipify.org REST timeout, proxy issue?

I am trying to consume a simple REST web service from ipify.org, 

https://api.ipify.org/?format=json

It works fine in my web browsers. It times out when I try to Test it in the local Service Studio 10 instance or after publishing it to our Development server and calling an Action which calls the Get REST API method.

Our network has firewall rules blocking lots of stuff and generally requires use of the proxy server, so maybe that's the problem when testing from the Dev server. Shouldn't Service Studio use the same proxy as my web browsers when attempting to consume the web service and clicking Test?

Thanks,
Jacob

Solution

Hello Jacob, 

You can try to configure proxy in Service Studio. 

But Web Services methods are executed in the Server, not in Service Studio (at least in run time), so the application will not work if your server is behind a firewall that is blocking the connection. 

If your server is an On Premises server, talk to your infra structure team, the guys that take care of the network security to investigate the issue. 

Cheers. 

Solution

Also, browsers typically have their own proxy configuration, afaik IE/Edge is the only one using the Windows Internet settings fot that.

As for Service Studio, it has a Proxy Authentication option in its Preferences dialog:

But like Eduardo wrote, that won't help when connecting from the server (also, I'm not sure whether Service Studio connects to the REST service via it's own connection, or that it'll go throught the server).

Eduardo Jauch wrote:

But Web Services methods are executed in the Server, not in Service Studio (at least in run time), so the application will not work if your server is behind a firewall that is blocking the connection. 

Hello Eduardo,

Thank you for the quick response. To be clear, are you saying that when I click the Test button for a REST web service in Service Studio, it executes on the server and not from my local machine?

That likely explains why my browser worked and the test does not, and Wireshark not showing any traffic. I wasn't sure if I was just using some wrong settings.

Thank you, that will help me know where to ask for the firewall changes.

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Also, browsers typically have their own proxy configuration, afaik IE/Edge is the only one using the Windows Internet settings fot that.

We're using Cisco AnyConnect Web Security for a proxy and I suspect it's messing with the Winsock layer or something. It doesn't show up in the Proxy settings for IE or Chrome (which uses the same Internet Properties on Windows). Most software transparently works with it, some, notably Java based programs and Windows Subsystem for Linux, don't and have to have proxy server addresses manually entered.

But like Eduardo wrote, that won't help when connecting from the server (also, I'm not sure whether Service Studio connects to the REST service via it's own connection, or that it'll go throught the server).

I think this might be the crux of the issue. If clicking Test for a Rest web service in Service Studio really executes on the environment server, then that's where I need to work with my network team and not on my Laptop.

Thank you both for your time with the quick and helpful responses!

Hi Jacob,

I wasn't sure, but a colleague confirmed.
The TEST when consuming a REST web service method is performed server-side, not in the Service Studio.

Cheers.

Thank you for confirming!