Views
Comments
Solved
Request a read receipt email
Question

I am developing a web app that makes notifications through emails, my question is, does OutSystems have any option to notify me when the recipient reads the sent email?

Solution

Use the property in your email template. Should give you a read receipt if permitted at the receiver's end.

Return-Receipt-To

Hi Claudio,

Do you mean email tracking or read receipt? 

Read receipt is explicit action by the receiver, while tracking tracks email delivery/open status implicitly.

Hello,

Is there any updated or solution to this? I have a need that has come up for the exact same thing.

Thanks!

Solution

Use the property in your email template. Should give you a read receipt if permitted at the receiver's end.

Return-Receipt-To

Hi Tushar,

Thanks for the quick reply. I am sorry I think I am misunderstanding your suggestion. I can't seem to find that property anywhere. Can you please provide further details on where I need to set this?

Thanks!

EDIT: Never mind, I just found it under Extended Properties! Thanks. I'll try this out now.

mvp_badge
MVP

Hi,

Please use below link to understand,

Return-Receipt-To
To receive a feedback notification Email that your sent Email was delivered to the recipient you have to specify here the Email address where the notification Email is to be sent. For example, ' delivered.notifications@mycompany.com '.

https://www.outsystems.com/help/servicestudio/5.0/Web_User_Interface/Email_Extended_Properties.htm

Hi everyone,

Kindly tag "mark as solution" if this was addressed.

Thank you and kind regards,

Chris

Hello everyone,

I go in touch with our Outsystems technical services manager and we did some tests. Here is an update to what I found out:

• Return-Receipt-To: this is only meant as an email delivery confirmation. This did NOT work for me in my Exchange/Outlook environment. It may or may not work in other environments.

• Disposition-Notification-To:This is the extended property that will provide you the "read" notifications.

• A big gotcha! In our tests, we tried repeatedly with various parameters but what finally worked was to use "<" and ">" to encapsulate the email address you provide for the disposition notification. For example:
    • Disposition-Notification-To with a value of "name@company.com" did NOT work for me/my environment.
    • Disposition-Notification-To with a value of "<name@company.com>" DID work!

I hope this information comes in handy for someone in the future!

Cheers!