Hey all,

I couldn't find any matches on this topic, hence posting.  I'd like to understand whether web-apps we develop on OutSystems will end up as Single Page Apps when they are deployed?

Hi Uday,

They will not, each OutSystems screen ends up as and aspx page on the net stack and JSP on Java stack.

You can see the URL changing when you navigate from one screen to another.

Of course you could make a  SPA with OutSystems, one screen with many condition ally visible webblocks.

Regards,

Daniel

Daniël Kuhlmann wrote:

Hi Uday,

They will not, each OutSystems screen ends up as and aspx page on the net stack and JSP on Java stack.

You can see the URL changing when you navigate from one screen to another.

Of course you could make a  SPA with OutSystems, one screen with many condition ally visible webblocks.

Regards,

Daniel

Thanks Daniel

If I made a SPA with OutSystems, is that still using the OutSystems studio or using pure ReactJS code?

OutSystems web is based on asp.net stack, server sided generated pages and server side responsive CSS.

OutSystems mobile is using react as UI framework.

The only way to develop web and mobile applications for OutSystems is with Service Studio.

No need to code react. ,You can use JavaScript in service studio to extend what is offered by OutSystems.

Hi Uday,

Like Daniël said, currently OutSystems web applications are standard web-apps, in that each screen corresponds to a different html page, while OutSystems mobile apps have always been SPAs (using ReactJS and Cordova as the implementation technologies behind the scenes). 

Can you explain why you believe you need a SPA web application in the first place?

@JorgeMartins

Is mobile implemented as SPA?

A single-page application (SPA) is a web application or web site that interacts with the user by dynamically rewriting the current page rather than loading entire new pages from a server. ... Interaction with the single page application often involves dynamic communication with the web server behind the scenes.

OutSystems mobile does load different pages for each screen or am I wrong?

@Uday,

For web OutSystems is working on next generation Web Development in OutSystems, you can read about it more in the discussion on this idea: https://www.outsystems.com/ideas/6388/use-react-to-improve-performance-in-web-development-applications

@Daniël,

Mobile is implemented as SPA using ReactJS. Although you design screens independently, at runtime your application is a SPA where each screen is rendered by DOM manipulation.

Work on Reactive Web applications (SPA web applications, following an approach similar to current mobile apps) was mentioned publicly by OutSystems just yesterday, in the Singapore OutSystems User Group's first event (with Service Studio screenshots)... fingers crossed that this feature is released sooner rather than later.

@Uday,

Do you have any strong requirement for web SPAs? if so, can you explain why?

Hi Jorge,

Ok what got me in the wrong direction is that when you test a mobile app in the browser you still see the names of screens in your URL and also the concept of screens navigating to screens in mobile.

Regarding SPA web apps, it would be really nice to have that, can't wait to learn more about it.

Hopefully at NextStep.

Regards,

Daniel

Jorge Martins wrote:

@Daniël,

Mobile is implemented as SPA using ReactJS. Although you design screens independently, at runtime your application is a SPA where each screen is rendered by DOM manipulation.

Work on Reactive Web applications (SPA web applications, following an approach similar to current mobile apps) was mentioned publicly by OutSystems just yesterday, in the Singapore OutSystems User Group's first event (with Service Studio screenshots)... fingers crossed that this feature is released sooner rather than later.

@Uday,

Do you have any strong requirement for web SPAs? if so, can you explain why?

Thanks heaps Jorge for the detailed response :-)

There is still no mandate from our Enterprise Arch team that web apps have to be SPAs.  I proposed SPAs to reap some of the obvious benefits of SPA in general. 

I do have a mandatory requirement to ensure web app is responsive and works on Department issued devices with various form-factors such as desktop screen, laptop and tablets.  But, no requirement to make it work on mobile devices/smart phones yet. 

Also, no requirement to build native mobile apps using OutSystems stack yet

So, sounds like I can rapidly design/build/deploy/maintain vanilla responsive web-apps using OutSystems, am I correct?

Rgds,

Uday

Uday,

Yes, OutSystems web apps are Responsive out of the box, and the platform provides tools to help adjust how your screens display depending on the form factor.

Solution

Hi Uday,

On October 02nd we released a new generation of Web Apps that address your initial question about SPAs. You can read all about Reactive Web Apps on our forum post.

Regards,

Vítor Teixeira

Solution

Vitor Teixeira wrote:

Hi Uday,

On October 02nd we released a new generation of Web Apps that address your initial question about SPAs. You can read all about Reactive Web Apps on our forum post.

Regards,

Vítor Teixeira

Thanks Vitor,

So, this allows me to develop reactive web apps using the MVC design model, but still not SPAs correct?

Hi Uday,

These are SPAs. You design multiple screens in service studio, but that's simply to make it easier for developers to think about them and design them, they're actually implemented as a Single Page Application.