How to link one database to another?

Would like to take information from one database, join it with other information from another database and get the result

Hi Paulo,

Did you already search on this topic? There is plenty of OutSystems training material on how to integrate an external database with OutSystems.

The training material will also explain limitations in using external database tables in OutSystems.

Creating a join from an OutSystems entity with a table from an external database you should not do.

Better is to synchronize the external data to an entity in OutSystems.

Regards,

Daniel

Daniël Kuhlmann wrote:

Hi Paulo,

Did you already search on this topic? There is plenty of OutSystems training material on how to integrate an external database with OutSystems.

The training material will also explain limitations in using external database tables in OutSystems.

Creating a join from an OutSystems entity with a table from an external database you should not do.

Regards,

Daniel

Do you say you sync data with a static entity?
Where do I find material talking about it?

Paulo Junior wrote:

Would like to take information from one database, join it with other information from another database and get the result

Hi Paulo, do you want to join database in different modules in OutSystems or join information between an external database with an OutSystems database?

Paulo Junior wrote:

Daniël Kuhlmann wrote:

Hi Paulo,

Regards,

Daniel

Do you say you sync data with a static entity?
Where do I find material talking about it?

No I did not say that

Paulo Junior wrote:

Hi Paulo,

Create extension and link database, and select the tables you want it, and again create another extension and link another database and select tables as before.

Finally use those extensions in your eSpace.

hope this helps

Thanks,

Balasubramanian

André Andrade de Paula wrote:

Paulo Junior wrote:

Hi Paulo, do you want to join database in different modules in OutSystems or join information between an external database with an OutSystems database?

No, I have 2 databases, I want to get the information from 2 and join them, then display the result

To be honest I do not think OutSystems is the best tool to solve your problem.

But for each database you need to use integration studio and use the database wizard to generate entities of the tables.

Then in service center you need a database connection to both databases.

Then you need to code your logic. Remember OutSystems doesn't allow to join tables from external systems. So you probably end up importing the external data into OutSystems entities.

Hi Paulo,

Outsystems aggregates does not support joining tables from two different databases which will give error while joining. So it is advisable to copy the data from second database to some temparory table in the database where you are joining. 

Please check below link

https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/Best_Practices/Performance_Best_Practices/Performance_Top_10_Rules

Crossserver joins are very inefficient because the table in the linked server iscompletely loaded to the local DB server and then the join is performed. Crossserver joins may be acceptable if the tables are small and unavoidable but as arule cross server joins should be avoided as much as possible. 

Thanks,

Siva