Rookie Questions: Service Studio backward compatability

These may be a set of stupid questions, if so I apologise in advance.
Let me start with some background.

• I'm relatively new to Outsystems.
  • Been doing a lot of online training using my personal environment, and the Service Studio / Integration Studio I downloaded and installed at the time. (All Outsystems 11 related, which seemed like the right thing to do at the time, may have also been the only option available for a personal Environment??.)
  • At work they use Outsystems 10...
    • I've deliberately steered clear of connecting to work environment, as I believed it was premature, and did not want to inadvertently break something.
    • I believe I am now ready to do so.. (Very Comfortable with Service Studio etc..)

Questions:

1. Will the Outsystems Service Studio and Integration studio I am using for Outsystems 11 training and development in my personal environment connect to and work with our Inhouse Outsystems 10 systems?  (cant seem to find easy answer to this.. - hence stupid question 1.)
    1. Do I need to install Outsystems 10 versions, and use those when connecting to our work environment??
    2. Have completed a lot of Outsystems 11 training, Do I need to complete OS 10 versions of the same training?? eg: Web Dev Guided Path, has mix of courses, some specific to Oustsystems 11, and some more generic, or from earlier versions.
    3. Spent a lot of time looking at Silk UI stuff in the UX / UI guided path, was not obvious or apparent that  SilkUI is replaced in Outsystems 11; largely built in to Outsystems 11 instead of being separate module.  Is this typical? Will I spend a lot of time looking at stuff that is no longer relevent, or practices that have been improved??
  2. At some point our worksystems will be upgraded to OS 11, I've looked at a lot of the literature, Upgrade OutSystems Platform, OutSystems side effects and breaking changes, Downloads, System Requirements, I'm concerned that this process looks very complicated, and should only be completed by an expert with previous upgrade experience?? Am I over-complicating the upgrade process..
    1. What is the Min skillset / Outsystems experience required to even think about doing a major upgrade?? (I'm not about to do this, just wondering at this point. - Though this might change in next 6 months or so??)

Thank you in advance for patience..

(May be more stupid questions in the pipeline..)

Solution

Hi Steve,

There's no stupid questions!

- You'll need to install the OS10 Service Studio, side by side with the OS11 version if you want to keep working in both environments - major OS versions are kept separate but you can use both in the same computer with no issues. Service Studio 10 will connect to your OS10 environment, and 11 will connect with your OS11 environment;

- If you've done your training in OS11, you'll be right at home in 10. There's a couple of features you'll miss, but there's nothing that will leave you stumped;

- SilkUI was "integrated", for the lack of a better term, but it's still relevant - all of the modules and patterns you studied can still be used and are working just fine. It was mostly naming changes and reorganization of modules;

- The OS installation/upgrade process is fairly well documented, and if you follow the documentation you should be fine. However, you should still have some experience in the diverse areas that it will affect (your database installation, your webserver, etc). It should be executed with the help of someone who is aware and comfortable around your infrastructure. It's a more lateral set of skills.

Let us know if anything is unclear.

Solution

Afonso Carvalho wrote:

Hi Steve,

There's no stupid questions!

- You'll need to install the OS10 Service Studio, side by side with the OS11 version if you want to keep working in both environments - major OS versions are kept separate but you can use both in the same computer with no issues. Service Studio 10 will connect to your OS10 environment, and 11 will connect with your OS11 environment;

- If you've done your training in OS11, you'll be right at home in 10. There's a couple of features you'll miss, but there's nothing that will leave you stumped;

- SilkUI was "integrated", for the lack of a better term, but it's still relevant - all of the modules and patterns you studied can still be used and are working just fine. It was mostly naming changes and reorganization of modules;

- The OS installation/upgrade process is fairly well documented, and if you follow the documentation you should be fine. However, you should still have some experience in the diverse areas that it will affect (your database installation, your webserver, etc). It should be executed with the help of someone who is aware and comfortable around your infrastructure. It's a more lateral set of skills.

Let us know if anything is unclear.

Many thanks for the detailed response.

Very helpful..

Nice! Feel free to browse the forums or post other questions - there's a lot of experienced users reading and someone from the Community will no doubt be able to assist.