what are your thoughts on outsystems(experienced users)

What are the thoughts of experienced developers in outsystems.

Thank you

Hi Alejandro,

Can you make your question more precise? Do you mean how experience high code developers can become successful OutSystems developers?

On the ODC last year there was a 101 session about this topic presented by Miguel Seabra Melo, called OutSystems as a second language.

https://www.outsystems.com/learn/lesson/1753/outsystems-as-a-second-language/?LearningPathId=0

My thoughts are mixed, see it work out great, saw it work out not so great. It all depends on the person willing to learn and embrace a new paradigm like low code.

Regards,

Daniel

Hi Alejandro,

OutSystems is great, for developing business (enterprise) apps. Enterprises that can leverage the power of OutSystems will benefit greatly by being able to deliver software faster than what it is possible with traditional programming environments.

As a programmer, I especially like that visual code is far easier to inspect than line-based "high" code like Java or C#, and therefore easier to maintain. Also, writing visual code is a breeze compared to the more traditional languages.

In addition:

You can develop faster and cheaper: 

-With less experienced developers you will get better quality applications in less time.

-The 'code' can be easily understood by the business. This helps alot when developing the agile way.

As a downside: 

- Its not object-oriented. Meaning there is alot to be won with features enhancing inheritance and polymorphism etc.

- If you need to have a total different UI than Outsystems provide, it can be done but will cost you lots of time. SaSS is not available.

I could go on writing pro's and cons but my conclusion would still be:

I love OS because you can get things done fast and you can worry about business features more than you need to worry about technical implementations.

Stefano Valente wrote:

As a downside: 

- Its not object-oriented. Meaning there is alot to be won with features enhancing inheritance and polymorphism etc.

You call that a downside? I would call that a big plus :). OO has it merits, but imho not when designing enterprise software. Also, OO is difficult to get right, and inexperienced developers can create a big mess with it.

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Stefano Valente wrote:

As a downside: 

You call that a downside? I would call that a big plus :). OO has it merits, but imho not when designing enterprise software. Also, OO is difficult to get right, and inexperienced developers can create a big mess with it.

To me its definitely a downside. As someone once said to me: A good developer is a lazy person.

He meant: You try to reuse everything as much as you can. 

Inheritance and polymorphism helps you with that. If i could reuse logic simply by implementing interfaces to some of my structures that would be great, for instance.

I would love to continue this discussion with you, but lets do it in private to keep this thread clean ;)