Mobile App Cache Manifest File Issue

I have developed a mobile application for client supporting offline mode. For certain users when they try to open the application, it freezes and never works for them. When I looked at the error logs, there are errors "Failed to load Cache Manifest file......OSCacheManifest.plist not found", and this is being reported for OSCache module. I am not sure about the cause and also whether this error is related to the freeze problem or not.

Please let me know if anyone has clue about the cause of this issue.

Hi Junaid,

Are they getting this problem running starting the application on their mobile device or when previewing in chrome browsers?

Asuming the users run it on their device, you mention only certain users experience this problem, so asuming it does work for some users correctly, could you findout if those are simular or different devices?

Did you try on a device where it does not work to deinstall the application and then install it again?

Regards,

Daniel

Daniël Kuhlmann wrote:

Hi Junaid,

Are they getting this problem running starting the application on their mobile device or when previewing in chrome browsers?

Asuming the users run it on their device, you mention only certain users experience this problem, so asuming it does work for some users correctly, could you findout if those are simular or different devices?

Did you try on a device where it does not work to deinstall the application and then install it again?

Regards,

Daniel

Application works perfectly fine on browser or emulators. Almost every user having the problem has tried uninstall and install thing. Any idea why "Failed to load Cache Manifest file......OSCacheManifest.plist not found" error comes? Could this be related to local device entities or their synchronization?


Hi,

I don't know, I cannot recall ever to have this error message, but there are some things you can do to narrow down to the problem.

  1. Does it go wrong on IOS and Android platforms or only on one of them
  2. If you make new small application, just by schafolding a screen, and put it on one of the devices where you experience this problem, do you get the same problem?
    • if not, then check your application, and think about what plugins or you have implemented, and remove them one by one and check.
    • if yes, then maybe it is time to create a support case at OutSystems support site

Regards,

Daniel

Further investigating into it, I realized that all these errors are related to OSCache module. OS Cache is a built in plugin, and earlier I faced the issues with camera and bar code scanner plugins which was fixed by wrapping each in separate applications.

Any thoughts on this?  

Hi Junaid,

Did you make any local storage changes or any plugin update, probably added a new plugin in meanwhile or before?

What is the OS Platform Version you are using?

And yes what Daniel asks is: is the error specific to any particular platform like either iOS/Android?

Better to export the Logs, more often Mobile request of the period the error came, so that we/you can easily identify the root cause.


I too came across such issues & the thing I observe is I updated local storage & that's what the sprint I came across this, Also I remember after migration from OS-10 to OS-11. I again faced this under dev for apps.



assif_tiger wrote:

Hi Junaid,

Did you make any local storage changes or any plugin update, probably added a new plugin in meanwhile or before?

What is the OS Platform Version you are using?

And yes what Daniel asks is: is the error specific to any particular platform like either iOS/Android?

Better to export the Logs, more often Mobile request of the period the error came, so that we/you can easily identify the root cause.


I too came across such issues & the thing I observe is I updated local storage & that's what the sprint I came across this, Also I remember after migration from OS-10 to OS-11. I again faced this under dev for apps.



By local storage, I guess you mean local device entities and synchronization logic, correct?

This application is under development, so we keep making the code change including the logic that synchronizes the local storage. The plugins have been there since we generated the first IPA. And this application is purely targeted for IOS devices, never tested on Android and cannot due to compliance.

We have seen these errors from the devices where as soon as user opens the app it freezes. Now we have noticed that the app is opening on those devices, and manifest file errors are gone, but now we see "Failed to download resource...index.html" and "Failed to parse .... index.html" errors again in OS Cache module.


- Yep that's what I was addressing, actually when you change/update  the local storage i.e entity then while Sync the Data Modals & Entities are updated &  if in the case due to internet connectivity or bad request or timeout the request gets failed then there's an inconsistency in ammping of these two which sometimes lead to error which you where facing.


- 'Failed to Parse' is also a similar case as I mentioned above, if in case the automatic update of the mobile app gets failed due to any reason, more often poor connectivity then mobile app initiate these error.


- Make sure if you are using  any resource it is served from an https connection

- Just for ref:

https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/10/Delivering_Mobile_Apps/Mobile_App_Update_Scenarios


Hope it helps,

Assif