I have recently moved over to more C# based programming and really enjoy using OutSystems, it is very clever in some areas but its unfortunate that other areas not so much.

Though my main bug bear is versioning and I would use Git/TortoiseSVN and the like.

Bu my main concern today is automatic documentation from comments.

PHP and Java have PHPDoc and JavaDoc, both of which will read the code and keep a look out for comments formatted in a specific manner.

e.g

/**

@MyFunction : the name of my function this function updates a users name and DOB

@param STRING Firstname

@param STRING Surname

@param INT user ID

@param DATE User DOB

@returns void

*/

Is there a module that allows me to create comments in a similar manner that can be picked up at a later date for documentation purposes.

Hello Jim,

The Outsystems is a low-code plataform, for this reason, this comment type is not commum. Obviosly we can attach javascript code and made this comment type, but is not the main objective here.

In Outsystems the comments are made by a widget called "Comment". There is a guide about best pratice, in this link: https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/Best_Practices/OutSystems_Platform_Best_Practices

About a tool for create comments, i don't know if exists.

Solution

Hi Jim,

For documentation you can use OutDoc. It does more than generating documentation based on comments. It gives you comprehensive documentation for your whole environment.

Ivo 

Solution

Thiago Zuquinali wrote:

Hello Jim,

The Outsystems is a low-code plataform, for this reason, this comment type is not commum. Obviosly we can attach javascript code and made this comment type, but is not the main objective here.

In Outsystems the comments are made by a widget called "Comment". There is a guide about best pratice, in this link: https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/Best_Practices/OutSystems_Platform_Best_Practices

About a tool for create comments, i don't know if exists.

I think you may have misunderstood my needs, 

What I am talking about is what @Ivo Gonçalves has pointed too, its not the comments I want to be created automatically; Its Documentation. When the application is fully and correctly commented (in the format used), you can use OutDoc to look through your code and convert the comments into the documentation.

Hi Jim,

You should also pay attention to the Description property of most elements, it will be used by the tool to generate tooltips and automatic documentation for things like Entities, Entity Attributes, Actions, Input/Output Parameters, etc... very powerful and a lot more useful than most automatic documentation tools as it is nicely integrated in the development environment UI from the start. This is also what OutDoc uses to generate standalone documentation.

Hope this helps

Jorge Martins wrote:

Hi Jim,

You should also pay attention to the Description property of most elements, it will be used by the tool to generate tooltips and automatic documentation for things like Entities, Entity Attributes, Actions, Input/Output Parameters, etc... very powerful and a lot more useful than most automatic documentation tools as it is nicely integrated in the development environment UI from the start. This is also what OutDoc uses to generate standalone documentation.

Hope this helps

It does Help,

Thank you very much, this is going to save a LOT of time :)