Hi all,

I'm trying to express large numbers in form of exponents, such as 1.7E9 in my data spread. I realized that outsystems doesn't have an autoformatting function, so I created two attributes, one for each side of the E, and plan to append everything together. However, in calculating the sum in the aggregate, this roundabout way of doing exponents doesnt work anymore: the Power() function cannot be used in aggregates.

I realize there is another roundabout way of doing it by setting the number such that when the entry is created, the number is assigned to be its actual value prior to creation, but this would change the dynamic of many components of my program and would rather not resort to such a brute force method.

Does anyone have ideas to approach this? Thank you!

Hi Daniel,

Maybe you can use an Advanced Query and use the DBMS function.

Leandro Correa wrote:

Hi Daniel,

Maybe you can use an Advanced Query and use the DBMS function.

Hi Leandro,

I'm not too familiar with advance query so I did the way I mentioned: divide the number by 10 raised to the power of its length -1, then appended each number individually. It was a brute force method but I achieved the results I wanted. Maybe i'll learn sql next :)

Hi Daniel,

Would it be an option to save the numbers as-is and use a function to format them in the expressions where you show the data?

glenn michiels wrote:

Hi Daniel,

Would it be an option to save the numbers as-is and use a function to format them in the expressions where you show the data?

Hi Glenn, 

that's what I ended up doing in the end: store the number in a local, then go through the formatting process of dividing it by the right base 10 value then appending the E and the exponent... took more work than needed but it worked

Daniel Zhang wrote:

glenn michiels wrote:

Hi Daniel,

Hi Glenn, 

that's what I ended up doing in the end: store the number in a local, then go through the formatting process of dividing it by the right base 10 value then appending the E and the exponent... took more work than needed but it worked

Hi Daniel, 

There's no need to store it in a local variable first is there? If the action that formats the number is a function you can call it within the expression itself.

Kind regards,

Glenn