Service Studio Mac not running on Catalina

Hi everyone!

If you upgraded your Mac operating system to the most recent version (Catalina), Service Studio Mac will not work. We are aware of the impacts and are working to overcome this limitation. Until then, and to unblock your development experience, you can use a virtual machine to set up the Windows version of Service Studio.
Also, we've updated our OutSystems Service Studio for Mac help page to add this information to the known limitations.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Tércio

There's a deadline to fix Service Studio to run on OS X Catalina?

Hi, Please let us know when the fix is done.

Hope it will be fixed soon :) 

Hoping a reply shows up when a fix for this arrives.

Hey guys any new about this fix??

Be great to get an update on this? Could do with restarting my mac but living in fear that it'll auto update...

Just drop this version already. It's pretty bad and useless. Go native asap.

Hey Tércio Soares, this post is almost two weeks old now. Is there an eta for when an updated Mac version

will be released?

More context: OSX Catalina has dropped 32bit support which means the current OS approach of packing their app inside a Wine wrapper isn't viable. Sounds like the team behind Wine are hopeful they'll have some solution working 'by the end of the year'...

So it's looking like we shouldn't be holding out breath for an update to this version. Hopefully OS have been working on a native, electron or cloud based app instead. As others have commented, I'm sure any of those would be preferable to the current app. 

It would be great if the macOS Service Studio has also an auto-update feature ;-) I've posted it as an idea that hopefully benefits the Mac users in our comminity. 

https://www.outsystems.com/ideas/7449/auto-update-service-studio-for-macos

Best of luck working on the fixes to get Service Studio working on macOS Catalina.

Keep up the good work :-)

William

Hi everyone!

Although we don't have this issue solved yet, I want to let you know that we are still working in this issue, trying to overcome this limitation. I'll keep you posted and updated.

Thanks,

Tércio

I only saw this problem after I updated my Mac, now I don't know what can I do.

Hi, Please let us know when the fix is done.

Same issue here

Hi.

As posted before, to unblock your development you can use a virtual machine to set up the Windows version of Service Studio. Until we can solve this issue, this is our proposal.

Thanks,

Tércio

is there a date available already?

For what it's worth, Microsoft offers complimentary Windows vms (3 month trial) for web developers: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/ 

If you've already upgraded, it beats paying for a full licence until this Outsystems problem gets fixed.

Its faster working in the MacOS than a Virtual Machine running Windows.

Please Outsystems,  we want it solve ASAP.

Its faster working in the MacOS than a Virtual Machine running Windows.

Please Outsystems,  we want it solve ASAP.

Probably all the statistics say your developers are working on Windows but maybe a lot have set up a virtual in OSX to do the Outsystems magic.

Would be nice and professional if a stable Outsystems Service Studio on OSX will become available. Two fantastic worlds combined.

It would be great have a position how it's the works about it!

any update? please!

Tércio Soares

Is there an eta or roadmap you can share? Considering the popularity of Mac for development, it's disappointing to have had such little communications from you on this. 

A windows vm is a very poor substitute as it's so slow to work on - it's definitely not a long term solution. Plus it completely goes against your promise to help speed up development.

Please respond asap when you have more information.

From what I could see this could have a quick(ish) solution from Outsystems.

I saw that this is an installation done around a wrapper of Wine for Mac, but includes a 32 bits of Wine, which cannot run on Catalina. By replacing the Wine libraries and executables with a 64 bit version (wine64) should provide a path for a fix. I successfully run Notepad++ under Wine under Catalina, as a proof of concept, so it could potentially be doable.

Luis Guilherme Parreira wrote:

From what I could see this could have a quick(ish) solution from Outsystems.

I saw that this is an installation done around a wrapper of Wine for Mac, but includes a 32 bits of Wine, which cannot run on Catalina. By replacing the Wine libraries and executables with a 64 bit version (wine64) should provide a path for a fix. I successfully run Notepad++ under Wine under Catalina, as a proof of concept, so it could potentially be doable.

Thank you for your update. 

I am sorry but I am new to OS, could you please explain more?

And another status update request :-)

When will anyone in Outsystems commit to a General Availability 64-bit version running on Mac Catalina?

As you can see from the discussion lots of people would like to know.

Please provide all of us with some concrete information - and no, running some virtual system isn't the answer.

We have been facing this issue for months, I can not understand that a huge company like OutSystems does not take a few days to fix this and communicate about it. 

mazin.abdulah wrote:

We have been facing this issue for months, I can not understand that a huge company like OutSystems does not take a few days to fix this and communicate about it. 

Hi,

Just to know, did you try to contact OutSystems support?

Cheers,
Nuno Verdasca

A simple roadmap showing what is in the next release and where the remediation of Service Studio (for mac) limitations are placed in the timeline would help so much.

Regards,

Swatantra

Hi.

I want to let you know (and reinforce) that this is a major issue for us and this is actively on our radar, we are not evading your questions and we want to have a functional version working in Catalina.

To give you more context, as some of you might know our Mac Technical Preview version relies on Wine technology and it isn't working well for Catalina. We have been following this closely with the Wine community and we are confident that we can overcome this limitation in the next couple of months. As it isn't fully dependent on our work, that is the reason why, until now, we didn't stated an exact date for the new release of Mac version.

I'll be sharing with all of the next updates and the release date as soon as we have it. Nonetheless, as stated before, we hope to have a version that works on Catalina in the beginning of the 2nd quarter.

Thanks,

Tércio

Many thanks Tércio for all the clarifications. :)

The timeframe update is appreciated. 

That said, is hanging around, waiting to re-wrap your app in Wine the best route forward? I'm assuming it's just going to deliver the same buggy and slow software we've been using.

If you're not considering a native MacOS app, then a web app or electron wrapper might be worth exploring. Either could significantly improve the developer experience.

Hi Tercio,

Thanks you for all the information!

Hi.

I've made a new community post that I think it could be of your interest, not only related with Catalina but with our  IDE’s Mac version: "Service Studio for Mac Status Update".

Thanks,

Tércio