Hello,


Let me take a minute to update everyone on the status of IDE’s Mac version.


We know we have a lot of developers in our community using Mac, so we decided to invest a lot on providing a good IDE's Mac version. While we are working on that, we launched the current technical preview built with Wine to reduce the costs and resource consumption of who, by that time, was developing through virtualized machines.


As you may know, the current version has some limitations. One of the more evident is that it doesn’t run on the current version of Mac OS  - Catalina.

As I’ve stated in the linked thread, we’ve been working closely with the Wine community, and we’re confident that we’ll overcome this limitation in the next couple of months, delivering a functional version at the beginning of Q2.


Needless to say, the current technical preview doesn’t live up to Mac user’s expectations nor to our quality standards at OutSystems.


What are we doing about it?
We’ve been working hard to rewrite the IDE for several months now to make it run properly on MAC.


How are we doing this?
We’re rewriting the IDE in .NET Core and a combination of other technologies, creating a cross-platform IDE, enabling it to run and be supported firstly on both Windows and Mac.


When will it come out?
A private EAP will be available by the end of Q2 2020, and we may extend it to more people in the following months. Assuming that everything works as planned, the GA date will be in Q4 2020.


Our community is very important to us, so, once again, thanks so much for your patience! 

We’ll keep the communication flowing and update you as we make progress.


Kind regards,
Tércio

Thanks for the notice, Tercio!


Smart move to rewrite the IDE in .NET Core in order to create a more robust cross-platform Service Studio version! 

There's a bright future ahead of us :).

Hi Tercio,

Until there, how the mac users (with Catalina) can work with the Outsystems Studio?

Thanks!

Hi Hugo.

Until then, and to unblock your development experience, you can use a virtual machine to set up the Windows version of Service Studio.

Kind regards,
Tércio

Thank you for the update. I believe this is a lesson learnt for the outsystems product management team. Great initiation. Looking forward to get the stable version.

Thanks for the update.

Thanks for the update. Mac version of Service Studio is fast and awesome. 

Well that's made my trial of the system a bit pointless then.  Have to look elsewhere for a similar system.

Matt Phelps wrote:

Well that's made my trial of the system a bit pointless then.  Have to look elsewhere for a similar system.

And why is that? 


Kurt Vandevelde wrote:

Matt Phelps wrote:

Well that's made my trial of the system a bit pointless then.  Have to look elsewhere for a similar system.

And why is that? 


because it doesn't work.......


Matt Phelps wrote:

Kurt Vandevelde wrote:

Matt Phelps wrote:

Well that's made my trial of the system a bit pointless then.  Have to look elsewhere for a similar system.

And why is that? 


because it doesn't work.......



Hi Matt.

I know that having to use an older version of MacOS or a virtualized environment could not be the ideal solution but why not give our a platform a chance? I know you'll be amazed with OutSystems platform capabilities, assess them on your trial and let me then know your feedback. We will be glad to hear from you, to know how it suits your needs and how can we help you!

As stated we are working really hard to have a new version in a short period of time.
Also, all the work that you could perform now, can be continued once you have a Catalina compatible version.


Thank you.

Regards,

Tércio

Matt Phelps wrote:

Well that's made my trial of the system a bit pointless then.  Have to look elsewhere for a similar system.


Hi Matt,

I was having same problem until i try parallels.

https://www.parallels.com/eu/

I tried running virtual image with virtualbox but without  success. It was very very slow. With parallels it works very smoothly on iMac with 16gb ram running Catalina os.

Hope it helps.

Hi,


Since Parallel Desktops is not a free option, does anybody run successfully on other free VMs ?


Regards,

Lorena

Hi,

Yes, I have a VirtualBox running on Catalina 10.15.3. Only things I needed to configure is scale the screen so that I can read it and cap the CPU usage so the mouse will stay responsive. Installed Windows 10 directly from Microsoft.

Still doesn't provide the look & feel on a Windows machine, but does a good job letting me do the exercises of the on-line training courses.

Hope this helps.

Please make the Mac version available as soon as possible!

Hugo Ferreira wrote:

Hi Tercio,

Until there, how the mac users (with Catalina) can work with the Outsystems Studio?

Thanks!

Hi, I run Mac with Catalina and solved this by running OutSystems Service Studio through Windows on my Mac.  There are a few programs that allow this, I use Parallels. I plan to do this temporarily until the new version of Service Studio is released. 


So, since we are at the beginning of Q2, what's the status of Service Studio on Catalina?

Hi.

It's been a hard challenge, but we are very close to fullfill the commitment of having a functional version of Service Studio with MacOS Catalina in Q2. We do have now a Proof of Concept running that is being tested.

I'll keep you posted,

Thank you.

Regards,

Tércio

Excellent!

When will a beta or nightly build be available?

Excellent :)

Could you please send me a beta version  to me to test?  

Zhilong xue wrote:

Could you please send me a beta version  to me to test?  

Hi,

All OutSystems downloads are available on the following page:

https://www.outsystems.com/downloads/

OutSystems will not send beta versions to you, instead you can download it.

Regards,

Daniel


Daniël Kuhlmann wrote:

Zhilong xue wrote:

Could you please send me a beta version  to me to test?  

Hi,

All OutSystems downloads are available on the following page:

https://www.outsystems.com/downloads/

OutSystems will not send beta versions to you, instead you can download it.

Regards,

Daniel


yes, but I used mac Catalina 10.15.1, the newest version download not workable.


My point is, if there is something available, it will be on the download site. It will not be sent to you as you asked for.

@Catelina,

This is what is described by the original poster:

When will it come out?
A private EAP will be available by the end of Q2 2020, and we may extend it to more people in the following months. Assuming that everything works as planned, the GA date will be in Q4 2020.


Our community is very important to us, so, once again, thanks so much for your patience! 

We’ll keep the communication flowing and update you as we make progress.

I was really excited to test outsystems and I must say that the fact that it takes more than 6 months to come up with a solution is alarming,  Plus, I couldn't find a single word of apology for all the troubles that their community has gone through from the company's representatives. Sorry, that is not the service level I expect from a company that give such a crucial services.

Hi.

As stated before we have been testing a Proof of Concept running on Wine with MacOS Catalina support.

Those tests are now finished and we are going to make the version available this week to you.

Let me say that we know that several months had passed, it was really a though challenge, but we overcomed this limitation and we'll make it available to you!


Thank you.


Regards,


Tércio

wrote:

Hi.

As stated before we have been testing a Proof of Concept running on Wine with MacOS Catalina support.

Those tests are now finished and we are going to make the version available this week to you.

Let me say that we know that several months had passed, it was really a though challenge, but we overcomed this limitation and we'll make it available to you!


Thank you.


Regards,


Tércio

@Tércio,


Thanks, That is a great news. Was eagerly waiting for this. 


Regards

Hakkim.



Hi.


Unfortunately the release of this solution is taking longer than initially expected, next week we'll update the Mac downloads page accordingly.


I'll keep you posted.


Thank you.


Regards,

Tércio

Hi.

As stated before, if you are running Catalina on your Mac, we will provide a new version of Service Studio (running on Wine) with MacOS Catalina support.

While we are updating the Mac downloads page accordingly, and to unblock you as soon as possible, I would be glad to give you access to the new version. 

What do you have to do to access to it?
Send me a private message requesting access and I'll give you all the instructions.

Our community is very important to us, so, once again, thanks so much for your patience! 

I'll be keeping you posted.


Kind regards,
Tércio


Hello, send me please.

Hi Luis,

Please read Tércio's post carefully: you need to PM him to get access, he will not send it to you if you request it here!

Perfect!!

Working for me, much appreciated.

Thanks for all the hard work Tércio and for keeping us posted!

Thank you Tércio! 

Finally, this is worked!

Thank You Tercio

Solution

Hi.


We've updated the Development Environment for Mac page (of the Downloads area) accordingly and now you can download the Service Studio (running on Wine) with MacOS Catalina support from there. 

The "OutSystems Service Studio for Mac" documentation page was also updated, you'll find all the steps needed to get Service Studio working properly.


We've struggled with this for several months, but we made it happen! 

If you have any trouble or feedback just let me know.


Kind regards,
Tércio


Solution

Congrats Tércio with this accomplishment! The hard work paid off!

I'm sure a lot of mac users will be happy with this release.

*claps his hands*

Congrats Tércio 

Service Studio with Mac Catalina support. Great!

Tons of users were waiting for it. Congratulation to all Mac users.??

Whoaaa finally, Congrats Tércio

To be sure that I understand, the currently available version runs on Wine, but in Q4 2020 there will be a version that runs without Wine, correct?

I am seriously considering making a move to Mac, but I really would prefer to not have to deal with Wine if I don't have to.

J.Ja

Hi Justin.

Yes, that is correct.


Kind regards,
Tércio

Hi,

Im Still having an Issue with Outsystems Service Studio in Catalina. 

After installation When i tried to open the Application, it goes through following 2 screens and quit immediately. 



Crossover downloaded several times like above but last time no progress and quit like this.

Downloaded version : OutSystems Service Studio-11.7.4 (Build 17634)

Lahiru Pinto wrote:

Hi,

Im Still having an Issue with Outsystems Service Studio in Catalina. 

After installation When i tried to open the Application, it goes through following 2 screens and quit immediately. 



Crossover downloaded several times like above but last time no progress and quit like this.

Downloaded version : OutSystems Service Studio-11.7.4 (Build 17634)

i face the same problem also

 

 

Yup same problem here. Not a great way to test a product you could spend 4k/m on......

Same problem for me and it doesn't work.

I have follow this instruction given on OutSystems Service Studio-11.7.4 but still can't get it work.

The installation sounds finish after .Net 4.7 being installed. I can saw following screen pop up just flashed and closed (have been trying few times to get this screen shot) when I opened the application and nothing happend after that.


I have tried several times and apparently the last 2 installation has triggered Avast Security protection and complaining found Win32:Malware-gen in libGELSv2.dll file.


Tércio Soares wrote:

Hello,


Let me take a minute to update everyone on the status of IDE’s Mac version.


We know we have a lot of developers in our community using Mac, so we decided to invest a lot on providing a good IDE's Mac version. While we are working on that, we launched the current technical preview built with Wine to reduce the costs and resource consumption of who, by that time, was developing through virtualized machines.


As you may know, the current version has some limitations. One of the more evident is that it doesn’t run on the current version of Mac OS  - Catalina.

As I’ve stated in the linked thread, we’ve been working closely with the Wine community, and we’re confident that we’ll overcome this limitation in the next couple of months, delivering a functional version at the beginning of Q2.


Needless to say, the current technical preview doesn’t live up to Mac user’s expectations nor to our quality standards at OutSystems.


What are we doing about it?
We’ve been working hard to rewrite the IDE for several months now to make it run properly on MAC.


How are we doing this?
We’re rewriting the IDE in .NET Core and a combination of other technologies, creating a cross-platform IDE, enabling it to run and be supported firstly on both Windows and Mac.


When will it come out?
A private EAP will be available by the end of Q2 2020, and we may extend it to more people in the following months. Assuming that everything works as planned, the GA date will be in Q4 2020.


Our community is very important to us, so, once again, thanks so much for your patience! 

We’ll keep the communication flowing and update you as we make progress.


Kind regards,
Tércio

I thought OutSystems IDE was supposed to not have dependencies. (For one .NET) 

If you really wanted to get this thing without dependencies you would have coded it in Java, JavaScript, CSS, and HTML.


Hi Gregory,

I'm not sure where you got the idea that "OutSystems IDE was supposed to not have dependencies". Service Studio has always been Windows-only, and only recently has there been an effort to make it available for MacOS.

The idea that Java is somehow the holy grail of OS intercompatability is really laughable. It is slow, buggy, hogs resources, and has really no place in user-facing desktop apps. 

Hi Team,

I am working with Lahiru on the same work. I am using MacOS version (Catalina 10.15.6) identical to his with the same OutSystems version (OutSystems Service Studio-11.7.4 (Build 17634).dmg) as well. I was able install and work without any major issue. I installed it two weeks back. I am available to debug this issue.

Soon wrote:

I have got this work at last after another attempt (it has been my 5th or 6th attempt). It works after I restart the Mac once get the .Net 4.7 installed (the last step being executed when first open up the application).

After restart and launch the application again I can see some pop ups mentioned in the installation guides. Once closing all the pop ups (about 20 - 30+ of them!) and the application has been launched successfully.

Note: I have this installed on MacOS Catalina 10.15.6.

Same problem for me and it doesn't work.

I have follow this instruction given on OutSystems Service Studio-11.7.4 but still can't get it work.

The installation sounds finish after .Net 4.7 being installed. I can saw following screen pop up just flashed and closed (have been trying few times to get this screen shot) when I opened the application and nothing happend after that.



I have tried several times and apparently the last 2 installation has triggered Avast Security protection and complaining found Win32:Malware-gen in libGELSv2.dll file.


 

 

Lahiru Pinto wrote:

Guys Installation is working fine again. Previously there was an issue with this particular file download now it is downloading again.

Hi,

Im Still having an Issue with Outsystems Service Studio in Catalina. 

After installation When i tried to open the Application, it goes through following 2 screens and quit immediately. 



Crossover downloaded several times like above but last time no progress and quit like this.

Downloaded version : OutSystems Service Studio-11.7.4 (Build 17634)

 

 

Hi.

As Lahiru Pinto stated, we've detected that in some edge cases the downloaded installer gets corrupted and do not install the version as expected. If you're facing this problem, I ask you do uninstall the version (as documented), download the mac version again and perform a clean install.

Very important: make sure that during the download and install process you do not face any network issue, as document a stable network is a prerequisite.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Tércio

Hi Tércio,

Is there any update on the native Mac support as stated in the orginal post from january?
A lot happened in the meantime but I assume it is still on the roadmap.

At that moment Q4 2020 was mentioned.

Thx!

sad , still not work

Nguyen Hao wrote:

sad , still not work

 On NextStep 2020 the New Cross Platform (Windows & Mac) Service Studio is announced.

You can apply to be enrolled in the early access program here:

https://www.outsystems.com/eap/

Regards,

Daniel

 

I'm also facing the same problem mentioned before, when I open the application, it displays the screen of "CrossOver is downloading...." , after that a new screen opens and closes quickly and the application then quits immediately. 


I tried downloading and installing the application various times, however it still doesn't work.