Use applications or modules?

Hi there,

As a newcomer to Outsystems I'm following the online develop mobile apps course. In this course they split up the core logic from the mobile UI using modules. Regarding this practice I have the following questions: 

When I want to develop an application for Web and Mobile, how do I split this up? Do I use 3 modules: one for the Web UI, one for Mobile UI and one for the core logic? Or do I need to use 3 different apps? On deployment I don't want to bring the web UI in the mobile package and vice versa. 

What is the best practice here?

Kind regards,

Tom

Solution

Tom Verschuere wrote:

Hi there,

As a newcomer to Outsystems I'm following the online develop mobile apps course. In this course they split up the core logic from the mobile UI using modules. Regarding this practice I have the following questions: 

When I want to develop an application for Web and Mobile, how do I split this up? Do I use 3 modules: one for the Web UI, one for Mobile UI and one for the core logic? Or do I need to use 3 different apps? On deployment I don't want to bring the web UI in the mobile package and vice versa. 

What is the best practice here?

Kind regards,

Tom

Hi Tom,

First of all welcome to Outsystems!

To answer your question it is best to create different applications for web and mobile.

So in your example you'll have 1 application for web which includes at least 2 modules (UI and core logic).

Then you have another application for mobile which contains at least 1 module (UI) and a reference to the core logic module from web.

For further division of your modules you should take a look at the following:

https://success.outsystems.com/Support/Enterprise_Customers/Maintenance_and_Operations/Designing_the_architecture_of_your_OutSystems_applications/01_The_4_Layer_Canvas

Hope it helps!

Kind regards,

Glenn

Solution

glenn michiels wrote:

Hi Tom,

First of all welcome to Outsystems!

To answer your question it is best to create different applications for web and mobile.

So in your example you'll have 1 application for web which includes at least 2 modules (UI and core logic).

Then you have another application for mobile which contains at least 1 module (UI) and a reference to the core logic module from web.

For further division of your modules you should take a look at the following:

https://success.outsystems.com/Support/Enterprise_Customers/Maintenance_and_Operations/Designing_the_architecture_of_your_OutSystems_applications/01_The_4_Layer_Canvas

Hope it helps!

Kind regards,

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

Thank your for the helpful explanation! I will definitely dive into the 4 layer canvas.

Kind regards,

Tom