Convert Traditional Web to Reactive Web App

Hi all!

I have an application (a little bit huge), and I'm investigating the advantages to convert from traditional web to a Reactive Web App.

There exist some way to do this "easily", I meant, without implement from scratch?

As far as I understood, isn't possible to "copy" and "paste" anything.

Thanks,
Ruben Machado

Hi Ruben,

I guess there are a lot of things to consider.

The Tradicional Web is already using OutSystens UI?

The architeture is ok? I mean, according the 4LC? Maybe, you just need to developer the UI. And, yes, somethings can to "copy" and "paste".

Hi Leandro, I have tried copying it and past some "widgets UI" from traditional web to react and that was not worked!

Probably it just works with server actions not UI !

Best Regards
Paulo R. Fagundes

Hi,

What is the business value in just converting a traditional web app to reactive web?

Reactive Web allows for a complete different user experience, so it would make sense to not make it a technical conversion of technology.

Regards,

Daniel

Paulo Fagundes Jr. wrote:

Hi Leandro, I have tried copying it and past some "widgets UI" from traditional web to react and that was not worked!

Probably it just works with server actions not UI !

Best Regards
Paulo R. Fagundes

Hi Paulo, 

You are right. It's only possible to "copy" and "paste" server actions.

Regards,
Ruben

Daniël Kuhlmann wrote:

Hi,

What is the business value in just converting a traditional web app to reactive web?

Reactive Web allows for a complete different user experience, so it would make sense to not make it a technical conversion of technology.

Regards,

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I agree with you. Another advantage is the possibility to reutilize webblocks developed on Reactive Web Apps on Mobile.

However, it's weird to be impossible to "copy" and "paste" UI developments... (even labels, IFs, expressions, containers)

Regards,
Ruben

Solution

Hi Ruben,

You can copy all server actions and entities. You can also copy a server action and paste it as a screen client action, but only the elements that work will be preserved. You can also copy aggregates and paste them as screen aggregates. As for widgets there is no way to copy them (maybe submit an idea for that?), so you'll need to recreate the entire screens. If your screens were based on scaffolding or screen templates it is easier to recreate them with the same way (scaffolding for Reactive will be available soon, the screen templates are very similar to the one in traditional web).

We expect to release some documentation about the migration process soon, but it will always involve effort migrating the UI.

Cheers,
Tiago Simões

Solution

Tiago Simões wrote:

Hi Ruben,

You can copy all server actions and entities. You can also copy a server action and paste it as a screen client action, but only the elements that work will be preserved. You can also copy aggregates and paste them as screen aggregates. As for widgets there is no way to copy them (maybe submit an idea for that?), so you'll need to recreate the entire screens. If your screens were based on scaffolding or screen templates it is easier to recreate them with the same way (scaffolding for Reactive will be available soon, the screen templates are very similar to the one in traditional web).

We expect to release some documentation about the migration process soon, but it will always involve effort migrating the UI.

Cheers,
Tiago Simões

Posted:

https://www.outsystems.com/ideas/7630/convert-ui-developments-widgets-from-traditional-web-to-reactive-web-app

Regards,

Ruben Machado

Tiago Simões wrote:

Hi Ruben,

Cheers,
Tiago Simões

Hi Tiago, 

is there an update off the documentation about the migration process? got the question of an customer today and was curious. only found this post. 

Best Regards,

Paul G.

Hello, Paul. We recently published a migration reference, but you can check and other documents in the section as well for more guidance.