Custom Extensions (.NET) in Automatic Activities

Hey guys,


My doubt is, is it possible to use a custom extension on an automatic activity?


Because I made one, and I successfully tested it on a Server Action/Timer, and it works perfectly, however, when I put it on an action related to an automatic activity, it doesn't work, throws an error like "Could not load type '*' from assembly '*'"


Any ideas on this?

Hi André,

That seems more of a publish problem, make sure you have all the producers published in order.


Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi André,

That seems more of a publish problem, make sure you have all the producers published in order.


I checked that, still giving me the same error, even got into the extent of creating a new extension with the same code, and still the error persists.


Hi André,

Any chance you can post the full error stack?

Ok, what I think might be the problem is that you forgot to include the iTextSharp library in the extension. Make sure you put the DLL in the Bin directory, and set itextsharp.dll to "Include in Extension" and the Deploy Action to "Copy to Binaries directory".

Hey Kilian,

Like I said, it works fine when I put it on a Server Action or even on a Server Action triggered by a Timer, the iTextSharp dll is included on the extension, however I cannot locate that "Copy to Binaries directory" window you show, I'm using Outsystems 10, by the way.

Hi André,

Extensions and their included binaries (like DLLs) are copied in the IIS directory of the topmost consumer. If you have a Timer that's in Module X, but the BPT Process is in Module Y, Module X may contain the DLL (e.g. because some other Extension has put it there), while Module Y does not and causes the error you've seen. Of course I cannot see whether this is the case.

As for "Copy to Binaries directory, it's in the Properties of the DLL, when you click it in the second tab of the left panel.

Hey Kilian,

Thanks for the guidance, I found the panel!

Even so, Deploy Action was set for Copy to Binaries directory.

Also the timer I tested is in the same module as the automatic activity, only difference seems to be one works, and the other one doesn't.

Mmm, really weird, I've never seen anything like this. I can think of a lot of reasons why it may fail, but not why it doesn't fail when running it in a Timer...