How to send email from Outsystems 11 Reactive web app

Hi Team,

I have configured the SMTP configuration in service centre(OS11). I am trying to send email using the email component but could not find one in my reactive web app. I went through the forum and could see two possible solutions

1) Create a traditional web app and expose email functionality as a service and consume it from your reactive web app

2) Create a process and send email 

I tried both, I am using Outsystems 11 environment and I see modules types (reactive, service, library, extension & blank). I am not able to create a traditional web app module in OS 11 environment. 

I tried to create a process and even there I dont see the email component.

Kindly assist.

Thanks,

KJ

Solution

Hi Karthik,

It seems that you are trying to implement those solutions within the same service studio application. You need to create a new Traditional application to have access to the email functionality and consume it in your Reactive app. If you are creating a module within the same application as your Reactive app, you won't have the Traditional web option.

Gabriel

Solution

Gabriel Cardoso wrote:

Hi Karthik,

It seems that you are trying to implement those solutions within the same service studio application. You need to create a new Traditional application to have access to the email functionality and consume it in your Reactive app. If you are creating a module within the same application as your Reactive app, you won't have the Traditional web option.

Gabriel

Thanks Gabriel, I got it.

Gabriel Cardoso wrote:

Hi Karthik,

Gabriel

Hi Gabriel,

Is this just a workaround since we don't have the email functionality YET on React?

Regards,
JC

Hi, 

Yes, I'd say so. OutSystems just released scaffolding for React , sooner or later we will have emails. 

https://www.outsystems.com/downloads/ScreenDetails.aspx?ReleaseId=19389&ComponentName=Development+Environment&MajorVersion=11

Gabriel

Juan Carlos Elorde wrote:

Gabriel Cardoso wrote:

Hi Karthik,

Gabriel

Hi Gabriel,

Is this just a workaround since we don't have the email functionality YET on React?

Regards,
JC

Yes

Thanks for the information guys. :)

Tiago Simões wrote:

Gabriel Cardoso wrote:

Hi Karthik,

Gabriel

Hi Gabriel,

Regards,
JC

Yes

This is a late comment, but perhaps version 11 should not have been released until all the critical functionality had been created. This goes directly against the ability to develop code faster. Was the income generated more important than the overall goal of how we develop our applications?

Just something for OutSystems to think about,
PB

Hi Paul,

I don't agree that version 11 should not have been released without this. There are plenty of applications that have no email requirements. Either way, it is on the roadmap of OutSystems.

In the meantime here is a video on how you can currently do this already:

https://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/59320/reactive-tutorial-sending-an-email/

Regards,

Daniel

Paul Bainter wrote:

Tiago Simões wrote:

Gabriel Cardoso wrote:

Hi Karthik,

Gabriel

Hi Gabriel,

Regards,
JC

Yes

This is a late comment, but perhaps version 11 should not have been released until all the critical functionality had been created. This goes directly against the ability to develop code faster. Was the income generated more important than the overall goal of how we develop our applications?

Just something for OutSystems to think about,
PB

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your honesty. I understand your frustration. To be very transparent, generated income had nothing to do with the decision. We wanted to deliver sooner (despite known shortcomings) because:

• as there is no automatic conversion, we would prevent new projects from being created in an older stack
  • most competitors do not even offer some of these features
  • these are not where developers spend most of their time
  • there are workarounds for those shortcomings (even if they aren't great)
  • delivering it sooner means we can access if there are major problems we do now know about that should be addressed

This being said, change is always hard, specially when we feel something is being taken away from us. We are working hard to close that gap and you can expect to have email functionality in particular in a few months.

Cheers,
Tiago Simões

Thank you Tiago.  I didn't expect everyone to agree with my comment, but was hopeful for understanding as we do use email a great deal and are also expected by my management to get things out quickly. A previous reply to my comment wasn't so understanding as yours. As you so appropriately mentioned, change is hard especially when functionality is taken away. I enjoy using OutSystems and the speed that it gives us, please let's keep it that way. Hopefully closing those gaps, as you mention, is a very high priority.

Thank you for your understanding,

PB