Hi,

I want to check if there's anyway a layout change can reflect on the pages based on the layout.

Here's what I have done based on my leanings from the course:   https://www.outsystems.com/learn/courses/81/theme-and-template-development/

1. Created an application that holds 2 modules: App_Theme and Template_App.
  2. Added App_Theme as a dependency for Template_App.
  3. Created a custom page layout within Template_App. 
  4. Created a new application Main_App based on the template Template_App.
  5. Created a new page within Main_App based on the layout created at step #3.

If I go and make any changes to the themes styles, it reflect very well in my Main_App after publishing. However, if I make any changes to the layout, it doesn't. I did read that changes in the template application do not reflect after application is created. I'm just trying to find out if there's any way the changes to a layout can reflect on related pages. I'm happy to move the layout anywhere else if that can help.

Thank you.

Hi Aviral,

I have few questions before I answer your question:

• In step #3 you have created a custom layout or a custom screen template?
  • What is your purpose of using Template_App? Do you want to just have page layout in Template_App or you want to create custom templates which will be available in template list while creating new screen.

Nikhil Gaur wrote:

Hi Aviral,

I have few questions before I answer your question:

• In step #3 you have created a custom layout or a custom screen template?
  • What is your purpose of using Template_App? Do you want to just have page layout in Template_App or you want to create custom templates which will be available in template list while creating new screen.

Hi Nikhil,

Please find the answers:

In step 3 I have created a layout. I have added some placeholders in this layout such as header and footer content. This is the layout that I’m using in my main application to create new pages.

My purpose for creating template app is so that I can create other apps based on this template. There will be several others in the future. My understanding is theme module is for styles and template app is for common reusable elements such as layouts. I could  be wrong though as I’m at the start of the process. Happy to make any changes required to be able to have layout changes reflect. Can you please clarify what are screen templates?

Thanks

Solution

The following comment in the below post helped me resolve the issue:

"Also, as usually the layouts and the themes are in the theme module of the template application, and as the template module references those elements, your module also references those as well. If you change things in the theme module, this will affect alread created modules."

https://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/36588/update-module-to-pick-up-template-changes/

The idea is to keep the layouts as well in the theme module and not the template module.

Solution