Dear all,

I have been scratching my head the whole day trying to find a way to properly export DB results from IDataReader object to my output RecordList object in C#.

What is the best and most efficient way to do this? Is there a way to make it generic and work independently of the type of the output?

Thank you.

Hi Andre,

The issue is that once you exit the context of your extension, your output is a structure, and those are static.

The trick is that you can have a generic input (a structure/list that you convert to a generic Object with the ToObject() action). Perform your changes to it, and those changes will be accessible in the OutSystems context without sending it back as an output. If you want a good example of this, the XMLRecords extension is capable of processing any XML definition - I think the XmlToRecordList action is a very good example of the generic extension logic you're looking for.

Though Afonso is right, the downside of that is that you need to properly understand the way that Lists and Record Lists are structured internally, which is no mean feat :).

The main problem with a generic output is that OutSystems apps are very strongly typed: everything has a type, and though you can convert between types in various ways, a Variable (or Parameter) has a single type, and will always be that type (so it has static type checking). This makes it impossible to have a generic, unspecified, data type out of an Extension.

Solution

Hello André, I'm wondering if what do you want already exist in the forge.
There's a extension called Advance Query able to execute SQLs and throw the results "dynamically" to any Outsystems struct like Advance Query does.

You can open that extension and see how it works!
Let me know if you enjoy that and makes this question solved if your ask was answer.

Kind Regards,
Paulo Fagundes

Solution

Paulo Fagundes Jr. wrote:

Hello André, I'm wondering if what do you want already exist in the forge.
There's a extension called Advance Query able to execute SQLs and throw the results "dynamically" to any Outsystems struct like Advance Query does.

You can open that extension and see how it works!
Let me know if you enjoy that and makes this question solved if your ask was answer.

Kind Regards,
Paulo Fagundes

Thank you everyone for helping us out, and giving more insight's on how the platform works with your answers.

@Paulo Fagundes Jr. indeed you forge component did the job and worked like a charm. We just had to tweak it a little bit by creating a Regex to search for all occurrences of the words "insert" or "update" outside a pair of quote marks (select * from x('insert') is accepted, but insert' or select * from x('dsd'); insert into x ... are not accepted).

Kind regards,

André