Oftentimes we encountered this issue when publishing.  Can anyone help up on this problem?

Compilation Error
A timeout has occurred. OutSystems compiler appears to be blocked. Compiler state:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><Msgs />
Exception Details:
[1] Compilation Error: A timeout has occurred. OutSystems compiler appears to be blocked. Compiler state:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><Msgs />
at OutSystems.HubEdition.Compiler.Compiler.GenerateCode(IESpace eSpace, CompilationContext context, IFactoryInformationService factoryInformationService, Int32 timeoutInMilliseconds, ThreadPriority priority, Nullable`1 isIsolatedInServer)
   at cs#lukgxlbu.InnerExecute()
   at OutSystems.HubEdition.ServerCommon.Tasks.AbstractTask.Execute()
   at OutSystems.HubEdition.DeploymentController.Tasks.OneClickPublish.OneClickPublishTask.cs#jdjdbqfk.cs#prouevnj()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.ContinuationResultTaskFromResultTask`2.InnerInvoke()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteWithThreadLocal(Task& currentTaskSlot)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteEntry(Boolean bPreventDoubleExecution)
   at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()

Thank you

Hi Jan,,

This blog post from Justin James explains why service studio time outs can occur. Maybe it will help you.

Regards,

Daniel

Constantly experiencing the same issue with same type of error message. Previously deployed version is not responding anymore. I have a personal environment and I am not able to access some of the resources mentioned in the article

I have submitted a support ticket. No response yet.

Hello all,

I don't know if this is the case for you, but try to keep Modules small, whats the size of the eSpace that is giving timeout?

With the best regards,

Gonçalo

Hi Gonçalo,

I am not sure where I can see the "size" of the module that does not compile? I downloaded it as an .oml and it is about 11Mb, is that what you mean with size? The time out problem does not seem to be a network issue, as the module uploads correctly and fully to the server. It just does not compile. I am getting a "Compilation Error: A timeout has occurred. OutSystems compiler appears to be blocked." message. It is so frustrating as the previously deployed version does not respond anymore ("Your application needs to be updated") and I cannot publish the module anymore, nothing I can do. Other modules in the same environment can be published. Just this one module seems to not get compiled.....

Hi Gonçalo,

I have not yet received a response from support, but the compilation error indeed seems to be related to the size of the module. I deleted screens and it compiled again. I added some random screens and I get the compiler error back.

As far as I know, there is no documentation of a maximum module size nor a compiler error description that would suggest a module size issue. Even worse, when the compiler error happens, the deployed version of your module won’t work anymore. So as a developer, you’re stuck without a deployed version while not being able to compile and deploy a new one.

i am curious to see what support has to say about this.

Hello Dennis, 

I imagine that this can be frustrating.  

As a thumb rule (and a documented best practice), we try to keep modules small, (<4MB), not only to avoid compilation issues or to decrease compilation time, but usually this means too many user stories in the same module, that is a sign of an architecture problem. 

When a module starts to increase in size, we refractor it and split functionality between two or more modules. But I also understand that refactoring has a cost (time). 

I'll pass your feedback about the error, that has a message that appears to be not sufficient, as well as the lack of documentation regarding this issue. 

Probably a warning on Service Studio to warn about the size of the module, after a threshold, explaining the potential problems, would be interesting. 

Cheers.