[Data Grid] Excel export with large dataset (10k rows) results in Excel error when opening file

Forge Component
(38)
Published on 3 Aug (3 days ago) by OutSystems R&D
38 votes
Published on 3 Aug (3 days ago) by OutSystems R&D

Good morning, we have implemented a datagrid so our contact center can run some real-time adhoc reports.   I have a limit in place to restrict the number of records returned to 10,000 rows.  (they want more but it just takes to long to push that amount of data to them)

Everything is working great, but when they export the larger datasets to excel we end up seeing the error below.   As far as I can tell, this only occurs when the limit of 10,000 records is reached.   So they are exporting 10k of 10k, I I run a smaller query and have 9k records I get no error.

Any ideas?

Hi Josh,

I think that maybe the problem is that the amount of the data crashes the excel file.

Not the number of records but maybe the larger dataset, if witch excel line have a lot of columns /attributes with large data, the excel file becomes so big (large megas, ex. 20M or more) that the excel can´t handle it.

I had the problem in the past with VBA macros in Excel files with huge data inside. Regards.

Josh Herron wrote:

Good morning, we have implemented a datagrid so our contact center can run some real-time adhoc reports.   I have a limit in place to restrict the number of records returned to 10,000 rows.  (they want more but it just takes to long to push that amount of data to them)

Everything is working great, but when they export the larger datasets to excel we end up seeing the error below.   As far as I can tell, this only occurs when the limit of 10,000 records is reached.   So they are exporting 10k of 10k, I I run a smaller query and have 9k records I get no error.

Any ideas?

I don't think it's the file size.   For example, I ran a query with 9,000 rows of data and the resulting Excel file is 1024KB, this file does not give me the error when I attempt to open.   The one that has the error when opening is 1269KB which isn't huge.

The REST API I'm calling has a limit on the aggregate of 10,000 rows (so we only display 10k in the web screen) but it knows that there are more for the query in question.   So I'm thinking something in the Datagrid logic is trying to copy a formula down to for row 10,001 but it doesn't exist in the excel file?