How can someone use an app I developed?

I have a prototype app that I want to let someone else use. I clicked publish, but from what I understand only I can access my personal outsystems cloud page. Is there a way to download the app into an .exe file that can be installed anywhere? Or a similar alternative? Do I need the full outsystems license to do that?

Hello Akis,

OutSystems applications can run ONLY in OutSystems servers (unless you detach them, but you can't do it on personal environments).

But the access to your application is not only for you. Developing in your personal environment is something only you can do, as only you have a "user" to develop. But you can create users for the "Application" (see the Users application, that is available in your environment), and you can provide them to other persons to test your application.

Cheers.

By the way, The Personal Environment is not meant to run commercial applications, and as so, you have only 2GB of space in database (for both metadata and data), a limited number of application users you can use and very few "hardware resources", as well as there is no guarantee, at all, that your personal environment will always work or be kept by OutSystems.

The main reason for the existence of the Personal Environment is to help you learn, test and maybe do some components to share on Forge.

For commercial applications, yes, you need a license and a server that may be in the OutSystems cloud infrastructure or as a PaaS in your own servers.

Cheers.

Eduardo Jauch wrote:

Hello Akis,

OutSystems applications can run ONLY in OutSystems servers (unless you detach them, but you can't do it on personal environments).

But the access to your application is not only for you. Developing in your personal environment is something only you can do, as only you have a "user" to develop. But you can create users for the "Application" (see the Users application, that is available in your environment), and you can provide them to other persons to test your application.

Cheers.

Hi Eduardo, could you explain in detail how to create other users for the application? I don't have a users application in my environment. The only relevant thing I see in my environment is the "users management" tab and clicking it says "Users and Roles management isn't available for your OutSystems subscription."

Hi, 

Https://your_environment_url/Users

The username and pass should be the same as your programing user. 

You can create users on it, set passwords, add roles. 

I recommend the online Web developer training, as this information is given there. More specifically, in the security presentation. 

Cheers 

Eduardo Jauch wrote:

Hi, 

Https://your_environment_url/Users

The username and pass should be the same as your programing user. 

You can create users on it, set passwords, add roles. 

I recommend the online Web developer training, as this information is given there. More specifically, in the security presentation. 

Cheers 

Hi Edoardo, I tried creating a new user the way you suggested, but the user can't login to my environment with the credentials I set for the user.

My understanding is you give them whatever username and whatever password you want, then they browse to https://my_environment_url and it asks for a username and password, where they will enter what I gave them before in the users setup. Correct?

Solution

Hi Akis,

They have to browse to the application page of your environment which should be something like this: https://my_environment_url/applicationname

Or what you can do is copy the application url from browser when you open it and send it to your user. 

Solution

Your users are not able to login because when they openn https://my_environment_url it automatically redirects to lifetime and there application user's can't login. Only environment users can login in lifetime

Nikhil Gaur wrote:

Your users are not able to login because when they openn https://my_environment_url it automatically redirects to lifetime and there application user's can't login. Only environment users can login in lifetime

Perfect, it works now. Thanks for the explanations.