How to evaluate size of the project before initiation workshop

Hi all,

I would like to express you my long lasting and still not completely answered questions. I am giving this question each time when I get Request for Proposal (RFP) from my account manager to provide raw estimation and write answer to RFP.

There are lot of (instructure with various quality level) information in RFPs, I am getting asTech/Team Lead and pre-sale support person. Customer requires detailed presentation of solution and precisely estimated effort. I now, OutSystems have process for it (Initiation workshop - last 1-2 weeks with strong cooperation with customer). It is part of the project (after signed contract). 

In one hand, I could say, there are "old school" customers, wanting the complete and detailed knowledge what they get if order it. How much money will they cost it and how long it will takes.

You may say: order them initiation workshop prior the replying the RFP. I agree, … but … . 

Answer are often: 

1.  It is legal (official) RFP so     not possible to have any extra heavy workshops.
  2.  They have no resources     (persons) allocated to this kind of workshops. Most often do not have     know-how about Agile approach at all 
  3.  Out account manager what to     sell it as waterfall driven project mostly because previous reason.

I am thinking to use any more generic effort estimation technique like Function Point Analysis for it.

So my question to you, "colleagues", how you handle this kind of situations.

Any advices or your approaches helps.

Thank you for answers

Frantisek Malaga

Hello František,

Answering to an RFP is not always easy, to purpose the right methodology and reinforce it inside your prospects organisation neither.

You should reinforce the agile methodology it along the your sales cycle (across the different personas inside your prospect organisation), since is the best approach for our customers to get benefit sooner and faster from our Platform.

Some prospects are not mature in this way of drive IT projects, so you will be naturally struggling.

Daniel Martins wrote:

Hello František,

Answering to an RFP is not always easy, to purpose the right methodology and reinforce it inside your prospects organisation neither.

You should reinforce the agile methodology it along the your sales cycle (across the different personas inside your prospect organisation), since is the best approach for our customers to get benefit sooner and faster from our Platform.

Some prospects are not mature in this way of drive IT projects, so you will be naturally struggling.

Daniel, thank you so much. Your answer helped me. Now I see, I am not alone in that.