Trying to open URL in new tab - target _blank not working

I am trying to open an external URL in a new browser tab.

The Service Studio version is 11.6.26 Build 9940

I believe it is coded properly, but it still displays the screen in the current tab.

I have tried the target="_blank" extended property and adding it to the Javascript Open URL.

Please let me know how to do this.   Thank you for your advice.

This is what is generated using the Button and the Link widgets :

#1 using a button widget:

<input target="_blank"

onclick="window.location.href='https://some-URL','_blank'; return false;"

type="submit"

name="wt10$wt37"

value="view order"

id="wt10_wt37"

tabindex="0"

class="Button btn-small

ThemeGrid_MarginGutter">

( I also notice this didn't end with />  )    

#2 using a link widget:

<a id="wt10_wt92"

tabindex="0"

target="_blank"

onclick="OsAjax(arguments[0] || window.event,'wt10_wt92','wt10$wt92','','__OSVSTATE,',''); return false;"

href="#">

<span id="wt10_wtdisplayOrderNumber"

class="btn btn-small background-blue" style="font-weight: bold;">

{the-order-number}

</span>

</a>

Hello Chris,

In the button don't put "_blank" in the URL. Regarding the link, the Method is Ajax Submit and that's wrong, change it to Navigate.

With the best regards,

Gonçalo

You should change method property to "Navidate" of your link widget. Then it will work.

Solution

I tried the Navigate and numerous variations. 

It does work this way: 

onclick="window.open('https://www.w3schools.com/tags/att_button_type.asp', '_blank');"

Solution

Hi Chris,

Good to see that you were able to resolve your issue with this script, it will obviously work. 

But I am not able to understand why setting link's method property to Navigate and then using target="_blank" not working for you. 

I understand that this will not work for button but for link this is the standard way and should work in any case.

Chris Kraack wrote:

I am trying to open an external URL in a new browser tab.

The Service Studio version is 11.6.26 Build 9940

I believe it is coded properly, but it still displays the screen in the current tab.

I have tried the target="_blank" extended property and adding it to the Javascript Open URL.

Please let me know how to do this.   Thank you for your advice.

This is what is generated using the Button and the Link widgets :

#1 using a button widget:

<input target="_blank"

onclick="window.location.href='https://some-URL','_blank'; return false;"

type="submit"

name="wt10$wt37"

value="view order"

id="wt10_wt37"

tabindex="0"

class="Button btn-small

ThemeGrid_MarginGutter">

( I also notice this didn't end with />  )    

#2 using a link widget:

<a id="wt10_wt92"

tabindex="0"

target="_blank"

onclick="OsAjax(arguments[0] || window.event,'wt10_wt92','wt10$wt92','','__OSVSTATE,',''); return false;"

href="#">

<span id="wt10_wtdisplayOrderNumber"

class="btn btn-small background-blue" style="font-weight: bold;">

{the-order-number}

</span>

</a>

Hi Chris,

weather your are aware or not the target=_blank does't work with button. so in this case what you can do is style a link that  look like button.

with that link you can use target=_blank;

Best regards,

Pankaj Pant

Nikhil Gaur wrote:

Hi Chris,

Good to see that you were able to resolve your issue with this script, it will obviously work. 

But I am not able to understand why setting link's method property to Navigate and then using target="_blank" not working for you. 

I understand that this will not work for button but for link this is the standard way and should work in any case.

The only thing I could think of is maybe there is something taking precedence in my company's custom themes (set up by Outsystems).